Welcome to the CPB Music Rights site for public broadcasters. This site contains information about each of the music rights agreements that have been negotiated on behalf of public broadcasting. There are rights agreements that license and govern the use of music in both broadcast and the Internet. In order to be licensed under the Internet agreements an organization must register with CPB. This information is necessary so that we can create a record of all of the stations operating under the agreements. This information will be shared with each performing rights organization.
In the various agreements reference is made to “CPB qualified” or “CPB eligible” stations. To be clear, in either case this should be interpreted only as an organization that receives a Community Service Grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. This site will refer to such organizations at “CPB qualified”.
Although the attached copies of the agreements have been redacted to protect the most confidential pricing information, please recognize that the remaining provisions are nonetheless subject to confidentiality restrictions. You may not disclose the terms of any of these licenses to any other party without the consent of PROs or SoundExchange (as the case may be).
Edit Your Account
If your organization has completed the registration process, you may log in and edit your account as well as view or print each of the agreements. This will require log-in information you received via e-mail when you registered.
Frequently Asked Questions or Contact us at email@example.com.
SoundExchange Administrative Data and Reporting
If you are a radio station or a joint licensee (radio and television), after accepting the agreements, you must sign up with NPR Digital Services, if you haven't previously, to submit your SoundExchange-compliant reports. Stations that registered with NPR Digital Services (formerly Public Interactive) in the past do not need to complete this step again.
Music Rights Coverage
- Any qualified public broadcasting station that wishes to perform sound recordings over the Internet must first register for these agreements
- These agreements only cover public broadcasting stations and organizations which meet at least one of the following criteria:
- CPB CSG-qualified (SoundExchange) or CPB CSG-eligible (BMI)
- NPR member station
- NFCB Participant member station (SoundExchange only)
- PBS member station (Not applicable to SoundExchange)
- No other entities are eligible to be covered by these agreements
- About the agreements
- Frequently asked questions