Public broadcasting in Vermont touches the lives of residents daily in their homes, schools and communities. The state’s four public television and 14 public radio stations play a vital role in Vermont education through their services for teachers and classrooms, parents and caregivers. In partnership with schools in the state and nationwide, public broadcasting continues to pioneer technology to build the classrooms of tomorrow, today. Among other programs, projects and services, public broadcasting in Vermont:
- Launched Above the Fold, a project that engages Vermont middle schoolers in hands-on exercises that mix literacy skills, journalism, community involvement and awareness of current events in a fun-filled, statewide contest.
- Hosts Community Cinema, a groundbreaking public education and civic engagement initiative featuring free monthly screenings of films from the Emmy Award–winning series Independent Lens.
- Produces numerous local, regional and state programs including:
- Emerging Science, a highly acclaimed science series that extends its subject matter into the classroom with online materials and teaching resources.
- Outdoor Journal, an environmental series that focuses on local conservation.
- VPT Cooks, a cooking special featuring local chefs and home cooks who demonstrate their favorite recipes.
- Report from Washington, a production that includes live question-and-answer sessions between Vermonters and Vermont’s congressional delegation.
- Vermont This Week, hosted by veteran journalist Jon Margolis, who presents thoughtful and investigative stories.
- Headline VT, a project that examines the role of the newspaper industry in Vermont with a documentary and statewide campaign to engage students interested in journalism careers.
- Public Square, a monthly program that covers current events in Vermont and provides in-depth analysis of local issues.
- ReGeneration, a four-episode series that profiles “bioneers,” visionary business leaders and ecological designers who are turning waste into resources and problems into solutions.
- Provides facilities at VPT’s transmitter sites for state, county and local government public safety organizations, in addition to emergency and Amber Alert notifications.
- Held a Tricks of the Trade campaign to provide Vermonters with vital financial information and resources to guard against investment fraud.
- Hosts the annual PBS Kids Go! Writers Contest, inviting K–3 students to write and illustrate their own stories.
- Provides media training to students who otherwise would not get to experience what it is like to make your own radio show.
- Co-sponsored and coordinated more than 60 Cat in the Hatkids’ reading events at libraries statewide.