WUOT FM, the public radio station licensed to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and a charter member of NPR, seeks an inspiring, experienced journalist who is passionate about public radio to lead its award-winning news department and continue the station’s reputation for integrity and excellence in local news reporting. Knoxville is known as the “Gateway to the Smoky Mountains” and features a wealth of outdoor activities, sports and arts/cultural attractions, and has a thriving downtown district. The city offers a variety of affordable housing options from downtown lofts to friendly subdivisions and a network of greenways and urban wilderness areas.
The Position’s Responsibilities:
The News Director is responsible for:
- the vision and quality of news reporting and coverage for WUOT across multiple platforms
- leading a dedicated team of staff reporters and freelancers to ensure news production is community relevant and consistent with NPR quality standards
- creating and producing compelling news content across multiple platforms
- developing new audiences through traditional broadcast media and social media cultivation
- hiring, training/coaching and managing news staff and free-lance reporters
- exploring new collaborative avenues for news production
- promoting station awareness by speaking to community and civic groups when called upon
- project management of WUOT grants for local news programming
- filling in for news hosts as needed and participating in fundraising and station events
- voicing underwriting, PSAs, station continuity breaks, promos as needed
- maintaining the FCC quarterly issues file
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or similar field. Minimum of five years’ experience in news gathering and/or production with evidence of solid news judgment and understanding of FCC rules and regulations pertaining to news programming. Digital sound editing, and computer skills. Ability to announce in the NPR style. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Valid driver’s license and access to a car required. Ability to work and interact with individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and ethnicities.
Public radio news experience and supervisory experience preferred. Experience working with broadcast research skills helpful.
The WUOT News Director position is full-time, exempt, and University of Tennessee Market Range 11; Salary: $61,000 DOE&Q. Excellent health and retirement benefit packages, including tuition waiver and discounts.
Apply with a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references electronically through Taleo.