The Human Resources Associate ensures the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies, and programs for Alaska Public Media while also sharing a passion for ensuring the integrity and vitality of the mission of the organization.
Alaska Public Media is the source of NPR radio, PBS television for South Central Alaska and stewards of the statewide news.
- Chief Operations Officer and VP of Administration. Works directly with the NETA payroll staff and assigned to Alaska Public Media.
- Station Liaison for all AKPM retirement and healthcare benefits partners.
- Collaborates with the Executive Management Team on human recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and other human resource projects.
The Human Resources Associate will:
- Ensure staff complete Bi-weekly Payroll Timesheets.
- On-boarding New Employees (in-processing forms, I-9, W-4).
- Exit Processing for out-going Employees.
- Health Benefit Enrollment (Health, Dental, Life, AD &D and FSA).
- Retirement Administration.
- Job Opening Recruitment (job postings, tracking of applications, setting-up interviews, checking references, background checks).
- Assist in Station’s Renewal Processes for Medical & Commercial Insurance.
- Manage annual employee self-evaluation process with department leaders.
- Encourage use of EAP services when employees demonstrate need after a counselling.
- Oversee and manage general HR conflict resolution issues and/or outsource to an HR consultant when needed.
- Manage all organization-wide professional and work culture professional development.
Reporting: CPB, FCC, & SOA
- Assist with SAS TV & FM Reporting for CPB as needed.
- Liaison with NETA for completion of SABS and both AFR’s.
- EEO Reporting (yearly).
- Associates degree in accounting and/or human resources.
- Five years (5) accounting and/or HR experience with three years (3) general ledger experience.
- Demonstrated experience with computerized accounting software and Microsoft office software.
- Knowledgeable about FASB Rules and Regulations Circular A-139.
- Knowledgeable with IRS Rules and Regulations.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Good communication skills both oral and written.
- Bachelor’s degree or 7 years comparable experience in accounting and/or HR.
- Familiarity with non-profit accounting and HR.
- Familiarity with FCC Regulations and Reporting.
- Familiarity with pension plans and administrative responsibilities.
If necessary, alternative combinations of education and experience to be evaluated by the Human Resources Office for comparability.
- Act in accordance with AKPM policies.
- Support AKPM compliance efforts with FCC, CPB, NPR and PBS rules and regulations.
- Communicate effectively.
- Apply critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Maintain positive relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate consistent outstanding customer service.
- Proficient at computer use to include office software products, custom software packages, internet and e-mail.
- Consistently demonstrate ethical behavior.
- Must exercise good judgment for the prompt completion of responsibilities.
Must be able to work in a constantly changing environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands while seeking supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and sit; use hands to handle or feet; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are typical of a television/radio broadcast office environment and representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Alaska Public Media is an equal opportunity employer.
Dorothy McGrath firstname.lastname@example.org