Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As the Technical Supervisor, you will oversee the day-to-day operations of MPR News audio and video production, which includes supervising a team of Technical Directors and Audio Engineers working on the MPR News regional service. Your role is responsible for developing and maintaining ongoing training methods and strategies to ensure quality control and excellence in support of MPR News’ audio and video content. In this role you will lead and manage your team to foster a professional, creative, energetic, and technically savvy unit. Additionally, you will also work closely with content creation staff to ensure top quality technical production and support.
Your role is the first point of contact for scheduling personnel and technical resources, coordinating remote recordings, studio sessions, and special national and regional live broadcasts. You will collaborate with colleagues both within and outside of the department to ensure the ongoing excellence in support of the MPR News. You are a working supervisor that will serve as part of the team, function as a Technical Director, and back-up team members on both production and live board shifts.
Compensation Range: $66,101 - $99,152/annually. Exact salary determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Establishes and maintains the highest standards of production, customer service, and technical knowledge within the MPR|APM broadcast production teams.
- Establishes and enforces clean and effective standard operating procedures and holds staff accountable to those standards.
- Coordinates and trains Technical Directors and Audio Engineers on a systematic and measured schedule to ensure quality performance.
- Works with other departments to remain up to date on all technical and content changes and modifications.
- Hires, supervises, trains, and manages direct staff through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback.
- Works in collaboration with Broadcast Operations management team to coordinate the team’s work schedules to support remote production, live broadcasts, archiving, interviews, general studio operations, live and virtual events, and other duties as assigned across the company.
- Facilitates last minute schedule changes and emergencies as they occur; has authority to rearrange schedules as circumstances warrant.
- Fosters a creative and productive work environment. Creates development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Acts as the liaison between Broadcast Operations and MPR News to ensure all their production needs are being met in a timely fashion.
- Facilitates and leads trainings of audio and video equipment, software, and production workflows for reporters, producers, editors, and other colleagues as needed.
- Operates digital audio workstations, audio recording devices, and digital mixing systems.
- Records, mixes, and edits audio and video content for broadcast and podcasts.
- Provides technical support for MPR|APM and affiliates.
- Performs duties as a Technical Director as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree OR 5+ years of work experience as broadcast or recording engineer.
- 5+ years of work experience as a broadcast, recording, or sound reinforcement engineer.
- Possess a thorough knowledge and experience of field recording, sound reinforcement, studio recording, post-production, and “live” broadcast procedures and protocols.
- Operational experience with Internet Service Provider (ISP) technologies such as DSL, T1, cable and wireless technologies. This includes applications and equipment such as VoIP, IP codecs, consumer modems/routers and network switches.
- Knowledge and experience with computer-based audio technologies, audio encoding software, multicast audio, IP streaming, station automation, and media delivery systems.
- Knowledge and experience with video and photo cameras and shooting techniques using DSLR lenses.
- Knowledge and experience with video editing software, and virtual event production.
- Computer literate with experience using PC and Mac platforms.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays when work requires.
- Ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead. Ability to recruit and develop talent.
- Ability to interact and work effectively with content producers.
- Proven ability to lead, communicate effectively, and collaborate.
- Advanced working knowledge of broadcast production, recording techniques, microphone selection and application.
- Extensive knowledge of digital audio workstations, multi-track production, recording and broadcast consoles, and audio storage systems.
- Proficiency with audio and video editing software such as Avid Protools and Davinci Resolve.
- Demonstrated skills operating and knowledge of audio consoles, microphones, mic pre-amps, patch bays / routers, multi-track recorders, AD/DA converters, and related audio equipment.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in operating signal processing equipment and digital plug-ins including equalizers, compressors, limiters, de-esser's, reverb, and other digital effects.
- Knowledge and experience with consumer and professional audio and video codecs such as MP3, AAC, MP2, FLAC, MP4, MOV, H264.
- Technical proficiency with cameras, video switchers, cabling, and live video production techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of digital audio “play to air” systems.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent project planning, communications, and teamwork skills.
Reporting To This Position:
- Technical Directors 1-2
- Audio Engineers 1-2
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to work outside of typical hours when needed to work, which occasionally consist of evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment
- Required to move about in the community
- Reach with hands and arms
- Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Required to lift audio and video equipment up to 70 lbs.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.