Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
As the Finance Assistant, you will provide administrative, financial and clerical support to the Accounts Payable team as well as administrative support to the larger Finance Department and CFO.
Application Deadline: October 22, 2019
Accounts Payable Support: (~75%)
- Responsible for matching all checks with invoices ensuring checks are mailed or given to appropriate person for special handling.
- Responsible for Concur employee expense report processing and assists Accounts Payable Supervisor with Concur administrator duties and training end-users.
- Handles all incoming and outgoing mail for the Finance Department to include express, interoffice, courier and overnight.
- Maintains all Accounts Payable filing and administrates off site storage.
- Assists with calendar year end 1099 tax mailing.
- Maintains all vendor data, new vendor set up, updates, and W-9 filing.
- Handles other projects and duties as assigned by Accounts Payable Supervisor.
Finance Support: (~20%)
- Greets visitors and answers incoming calls; routes appropriately.
- Processes cash receipts: opens mail and logs incoming cash receipts; secures unprocessed cash receipts.
- Responsible for Finance Department copier, other common office equipment and infrastructure; coordinates repairs and maintenance (e.g. supplies, upgrades, replacements, etc.).
- Provides administrative support including: maintenance of departmental contacts (e.g. Finance email distribution lists), calendar management, occasional logistical and organizational support for Finance meetings/gatherings/events.
- Maintains Finance office supplies and prepares stocking orders.
- Handles other projects and duties as assigned by Finance Management.
Senior Vice President & CFO Support: (~5%)
- Prepares and submits all expense reports.
- Monitors and helps maintain Daily Planner so Finance Department is aware of CFO's schedule.
- Handles other tasks required by CFO.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- High School degree or GED equivalent required.
- Two years financial administrative and/or clerical support experience/customer service experience in a banking/finance role or role that works with/partners with a finance or accounting office.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Previous experience supporting multiple people and more than one activity.
- Must successfully pass background check: processes cash/checks and confidential information (e.g. tax ID #s, employee expense reports).
- Demonstrated ability process detailed transactions completely, timely, accurately, and in compliance with policies.
- General quantitative skills and numerical aptitude.
- Curiosity and commitment to continuous improvement; provides suggestions to improve efficiency and workflow.
- Tactfully addresses incomplete and noncompliant information provided: makes reasonable requests, provides training, and escalates appropriately/timely.
- System aptitude. Ability to learn systems, processes, and procedures; train others.
- Professional demeanor with ability to represent the organization to all levels of staff and visitors. Ability to exhibit grace under pressure. Must be personable and cooperative, good team player, meticulous, persistent, and reliable.
- Outstanding customer service skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills that allow successful interaction with all areas of the organization and with external constituents.
- Solid knowledge of general office equipment. Practiced in logistics support for meetings and events.
- Solid interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive, diplomatic relationships with creative and energetic professionals.
- Self- motivated and self-starter anticipating needs of staff and moving forward with limited or no direction.
- Initiative and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Organizational and time management skills with the ability to independently follow-through to successful completion of projects within a deadline.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with web based expense reporting system.
- Experience working with Concur and Lawson Accounting Software.
Reporting to This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.