- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: One of Marketplace’s offices in LA, NY, DC or remote (anywhere within the U.S.A.)
- Start Date: January 10, 2022 - May 27, 2022
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Intern, On Demand – This is Uncomfortable:
As the On-Demand Intern, you will work on This is Uncomfortable, a podcast about life and how money messes with it.. You will work on small teams with strong mentors and will gain experience in all aspect of podcast creation. You will have a hand in helping to grow audiences for This is Uncomfortable and other Marketplace podcasts.
Specifically, you will:
- research and pitch stories
- find sources and conduct pre-interviews
- book guests
- write house ads
- log tape
Key Learning Goals:
Our On Demand teams are small and collaborative. You will have the opportunity to:
- Improve technical skills (editing audio, recording audio, transcription programs, etc.)
- Improve soft skills (communication, critical thinking, leadership)
- Learn narrative storytelling by participating in group edits
- Research and pitch stories
- Find sources, conduct pre-interviews and book guests
- Log tape and pull selects
- Participate in group edits and feedback sessions
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or public transportation
- Eligible to accrue sick time off
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspective of the organization
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- Some familiarity editing audio (we will train)
- Familiarity with journalism ethics
- Experience in journalism
- Interest in narrative storytelling
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What interest you about this internship?
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Please submit all resumes and cover letters to this LINK