Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
Each week, Live from Here, hosted by singer/songwriter/mandolin virtuoso Chris Thile welcomes a wide range of well-known and up-and-coming talent from musicians to comedians to spoken word artists to share the stage and create a unique listening experience. Millions of listeners tune in on air, online, and in the theater, for an evening of world-class entertainment.
We are looking for a highly skilled professional to support the technical execution for Live from Here. As the Technical Director, you will work with many functional areas including terrestrial radio broadcast, post-production, digital live stream, and as a systems technician for our theatrical, rehearsal, office, and touring operations.
In your role, you will collaborate with colleagues across our organization as well as external partners in order to maintain technical quality of MPR/APM broadcasts, audio recordings, video productions, and events.
If you are a results-oriented person with a meaningful connection to music, comedy, and literature, we'd love to talk to you.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Collaborate closely with show hosts, directors, and producers to accommodate a productive and creative broadcast environment.
- Establishes and maintains the highest standards of audio and video production
- Leads by example and works with team to deliver on standards.
- Establishes and enforces clean and effective standard operating procedures and works with colleagues to train for and implement them.
- Leads technical planning of remote broadcasts, recordings, and events in order to help shape the scope early in the planning process so that we can meet the expectations of everyone involved.
- Works with other departments and/or external partners to remain up to date on all technical and content changes and modifications.
- Maintain expert knowledge and operational skill in digital audio production using in-house software-editing platforms (currently utilized systems include Dalet and Pro Tools) as well as live mixing consoles (currently utilized systems include Avid Venue and Yamaha digital consoles.)
- Test, connect, and monitor codecs and any other equipment necessary for live broadcasts including ISDN, T1, IP Network, and other systems.
- Operate audio/visual systems for events and meetings. Trouble shooting of computer, printer, internet, and network issues.
- Recording and mixing of both music and talk based audio content.
- Perform live mixing; On-Air board operations, studio mixing of both music and talk, and sound reinforcement.
- Operate digital audio workstations, digital audio recording devices, CDR and DVD-R authoring, and digital distribution systems.
- Operate video cameras, video switchers, and encoding software for live video streams.
- Responsible for responding in a timely and professional manner to internal and external requests for audio files, technical assistance, and planning details.
- Support theater load in/load out.
- Provide excellent customer service to our internal colleagues as well as any external constituents.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or five or more years experience as broadcast or recording engineer.
- Experienced recording in many acoustic environments including studios, control rooms, concert halls, churches, clubs, and outdoor venues.
- Five or more years' experience as a broadcast, recording, or sound reinforcement engineer.
- Possess a thorough knowledge and experience of field recording, sound reinforcement, studio recording, post production, and "live" broadcast procedures and protocols.
- Operational experience with analog and digital studio infrastructures, PA systems, and stage production and recording.
- Computer literate with experience using PC and Mac platforms.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills operating systems including audio consoles, mics, patch bays / routers, signal processing and related equipment.
- Good project planning, communications, and teamwork skills.
- Expert fluency in several digital audio workstation varieties.
- Must understand and be able to support and troubleshoot modern personal computer hardware and software.
- Solid background in electronics, audiovisual systems, audio systems signal flow and basic electronics wiring.
- Extensive knowledge of microphones, multi-track and broadcast consoles, audio storage media.
- Knowledgeable of operating signal processing equipment including equalizers, compressors, limiters, de-esser's, AD/DA converters and outboard mic pre-amps.
- Knowledge of digital production systems including audio workstations and automation for 'on-air' program delivery. Protools experience preferred.
- Good analytical and business-oriented problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in order to achieve common goals.
- Able to perform work independently or in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both written and orally.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform well under pressure.
- Creative problem solver and ability to communicate complex principles in non-technical or layman's terms.
- Ability to multi-task daily.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Project management skills desirable.
- Experience in a broadcasting or media environment.
- Ability to think about content and audio editing from the perspective of the average listener and help shape a story or piece with creative editing and production techniques.
- Ability to train both technical and non-technical staff on audio equipment and production systems in a one-on-one or group learning environment.
- Ability and desire to not just maintain the status quo, but to increase the quality and efficiency of the work in our department over time.
- Experience with video cameras and shooting techniques using DSLR lenses.
- Working knowledge of video switchers, cabling, and live video production techniques.
- Working knowledge of audio/visual equipment including projectors, video switchers, and other presentation technology.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Position will at times require weekend, evening and holiday work.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment
- Required to move about in the community
- Reach with hands and arms
- Balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Required to lift standard audio equipment and computers up to 50 lbs.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.