WMMT 88.7 FM — also known as Possum Radio, Real People Radio, Mountain Community Public Radio and the Non-Industrial Giant in the Mountains — is seeking a new General Manager to lead our vibrant and eclectic community radio station located in the central Appalachian mountains of Eastern Kentucky.
Founded in 1985, WMMT is part of Appalashop, a non-profit media arts center, and broadcasts 24-hours a day online and locally at 88.7 FM. Our terrestrial broadcast covers a wide swathe of the Appalachian coalfields, reaching portions of Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Our broadcast schedule is anchored by a roster of 50 volunteer community DJs and a mix of public affairs programming and special projects, such as our world-renowned show Calls From Home that connects incarcerated listeners with their loved ones.
The WMMT Development Coordinator provides leadership and coordination for multiple aspects of station development including underwriting sales, individual giving, community engagement and outreach, strategic relationship building, events, and major donor development. The Development Coordinator participates in long-range strategic planning to optimize financial growth and sustain community relationships, as well as helping to maintain WMMT's daily operations.
- Works closely with WMMT General Manager, Appalshop Institutional Development Director, and Appalshop Development Associate to create development strategies, timelines, and budgets
- Assists General Manager with development tasks, as needed
- Assists with identifying foundation and federal support opportunities and grant proposal writing and reporting
- Creates materials for WMMT’s different audiences (ads, listeners, foundations, etc)
- Leads planning and production of WMMT community events and/or the participation of WMMT in community events
- Organizes WMMT Community Advisory Board meetings and related reporting
- Coordinates financial transactions and reporting needs with Appalshop’s Financial Director
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager
- Primary manager of WMMT’s contacts within the NetworkForGood database, keeping all information up to date and running reports/analysis as necessary
- Plans, coordinates and manages biannual on-air fund drives
- Maintains and strengthens current donor relationships, meet and visit as needed
- Is the primary contact for incoming calls and visitors
- Contacts local, regional and national businesses and solicits on-air cash underwriting and/or partnership opportunities
- Solicits and administers advertising and underwriting trades with area print and broadcast media
- Works with WMMT staff to write and schedule all on-air underwriting announcements
- Invoices, collects, and maintains relationships with underwriting clients
The candidate should have at least one to two years of development and sales experience or be a fast-learner with great organizational, interpersonal, writing, and prioritization skills. WMMT seeks an applicant who understands the role of community-based radio and arts institutions, can work independently and in teams, and is ready to bring creativity to the position.
The WMMT Development Coordinator is a year-round, full time position in Whitesburg, Kentucky in a salary range of $38-40,000 with full paid benefits.
Appalshop is an equal opportunity employer, and its employment policies and practices are applicable to all employees without regard to race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, creed, gender, disability or national origin.
To apply for this position: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com