WMMT 88.7 FM — also known as Possum Radio, Real People Radio, Mountain Community Public Radio and the Non-Industrial Giant in the Mountains — is seeking a new General Manager to lead our vibrant and eclectic community radio station located in the central Appalachian mountains of Eastern Kentucky.
Founded in 1985, WMMT is part of Appalashop, a non-profit media arts center, and broadcasts 24-hours a day online and locally at 88.7 FM. Our terrestrial broadcast covers a wide swathe of the Appalachian coalfields, reaching portions of Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Our broadcast schedule is anchored by a roster of 50 volunteer community DJs and a mix of public affairs programming and special projects, such as our world-renowned show Calls From Home that connects incarcerated listeners with their loved ones.
WMMT's General Manager serves as the primary spokesperson for the station institutionally within Appalshop, regionally throughout our listening area, and on a national level through such networks as the National Federation of Community Broadcasters. WMMT’s mission is to be a 24-hour voice of mountain people’s music, culture, and social issues, to provide broadcast space for creative expression and community involvement in making radio, and to be an active participant in discussion of public policy that will benefit coalfield communities and the Appalachian region as a whole.
The General Manager provides leadership and coordination for all aspects of station activity, including fundraising, staff management, volunteer management, and government compliance. As the head of WMMT 88.7 FM, the GM works closely with Appalshop’s Executive Director, organizational managers, and other Program Directors to create a collaborative work environment. The GM also leads in developing and carrying out the station's long-term vision.
- Lead station in strategic planning, collaborating with staff and community members to think creatively about the station's future
- Oversee station operations, responsible for station equipment, bills and memberships
- Maintain relationship with Corporation for Public Broadcasting and other public and private funders and collaborators, including regional public radio stations
- Make sure requirements of Appalshop governance are met and needs of WMMT met by Appalshop
- Collaborate with Appalshop's financial staff to:
- Prepare an annual program plan and budget
- Monitor budget, income and expenses
- Ensure an annual audit is carried out
- Track and complete required FCC and CPB reports
- Coordinate with WMMT and Appalshop staff, including the Development Director, to:
- Create and implement a fundraising plan to include a mix of public and private grants as well as listener donations
- Pursue new funding opportunities
- Ensure that grant requirements are fulfilled and reports are timely
- Participate in Appalshop development efforts and database oversight
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for WMMT in media, public functions, and fundraising efforts
- Oversee WMMT communications in conjunction with Appalshop’s Communications Director: website, online stream, social media, newsletter, etc.
- Facilitate and/or oversee meetings of WMMT's Community Advisory Board
- Supervise WMMT staff including hiring/firing, onboarding, grievances, and regular staff check-ins
- Advocate for WMMT and articulate the station’s mission locally and nationally
- Lead weekly staff meetings
- Coordinate with other Appalshop Program Directors
- Ensure ongoing upkeep of equipment and technology in partnership with WMMT staff and the station's contract engineer
The candidate should have at least two years of non-profit management or fundraising experience, and be a fast-learner with great organizational, interpersonal, writing, and prioritization skills. WMMT seeks an applicant who understands the role of community-based radio and arts institutions, who can work independently and in teams, and who is ready to bring creativity to the position. Radio experience is preferred.
The WMMT General Manager is a year-round, full time position in Whitesburg, Kentucky in a salary range of $42-45,000 with full paid benefits.
Appalshop is an equal opportunity employer, and its employment policies and practices are applicable to all employees without regard to race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, creed, gender, disability or national origin.
To apply for this position: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.