The Interim Communications Manager is a temporary contract position responsible for overseeing BirdNote’s communications activities until the Director of Communications position is filled, most likely in the fall of 2021. This is a part-time position for 10 - 15 hours/week.
- Manage the development and distribution of organizational communications, including the weekly email newsletter, social media, blog posts, photo essays, and related content.
- Work with organizational leadership to determine the appropriate BirdNote response to emerging news, events, and opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with the production team to promote the BirdNote daily show and podcasts.
- Support the fundraising team’s campaigns and donor communications initiatives.
- Oversee special projects such as the BirdNote calendar.
- Serve as communications counsel to the leadership team (Executive Director, Development Director, and Production Manager).
- Write, edit, and proofread copy for a broad range of communications following AP style and BirdNote’s style and brand guidelines.
- Respond to questions and comments (as appropriate) from members of our social media communities, and to listener inquiries, as requested.
- Select inspiring photos as needed for email campaigns, web pages, and other communications according to BirdNote brand guidelines.
- Refresh the home page content at BirdNote.org with the latest content and fundraising campaign promotions.
- Ensure a consistent voice across BirdNote communications; uphold BirdNote brand guidelines.
- Supervise and mentor the Communications Coordinator.
- Chair the #BringBirdsBack Communications Committee and oversee #BBB communications activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to engage effectively with staff, board members, listeners, and partners.
- Team player who listens, welcomes feedback and ideas from others, and genuinely seeks collaboration.
- Commitment to excellence.
- Track record of exercising judgment and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines.
- Experience with Google office productivity tools as well as Adobe Photoshop and InDesign preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related discipline.
- At least five years of experience managing communications for a non-profit organization.
- Experience working in the public media industry.
- Knowledge of birds and related environmental issues as well as a personal commitment to BirdNote’s mission.
$30 - $35/hour DOE
Contractor will not be eligible for employee benefits.
How to Apply:
Send your resume and cover letter to jobs AT birdnote.org (thank you for helping us control spam by typing the @ yourself).