Blue Ridge Public Radio
Applications Under Review. Apply now!
Blue Ridge Public Radio (BPR), based in Asheville, NC, seeks its first Director of Content to lead our dynamic and growing service in one of the nation’s most vibrant creative communities. As the largest NPR affiliate serving 16 counties in Western North Carolina, BPR earns the loyalty and trust of its listeners by building its service on a core of strong journalism and cultural coverage. The director will report to the CEO and will be responsible for the vision, strategy and oversight of all content on our two broadcast channels — BPR Classic and BPR News — and both live and on-demand digital channels. The director will develop a plan for audience service and growth, and will create the vision, team environment and strategic goals to expand BPR’s service and quality. S/he will provide leadership and support for BPR’s content staff and contributors, aiming to connect their work with the highest standards of journalism and programming and to serve audience needs in innovative ways.
BPR is based in Asheville, where local authenticity is held in the highest regard by hometown residents and visitors alike. It’s a city powered by its creative economy, which includes a vibrant arts community, a growing music industry, the center of the American crafts movement, a foodie and craft beer paradise, and some of the most awe-inspiring mountains and rivers in the East. Its energy and potential come for a diverse mix of longtime residents and newcomers across generations. BPR seeks to provide inclusive coverage of public affairs and culture that helps residents engage in constructive discourse, enjoy the regions vibrant characters, and connect in efforts to build a better community.
The Director of Content manages all content creation and distribution activities and initiatives across multiple platforms and formats in order to improve service, drive audience diversification and growth, and deepen community engagement and audience loyalty.
- Oversees all content acquisition, creation, scheduling, and distribution for multiple platforms and audiences.
- Creates and ensures an inclusive, ongoing content development process that enables innovative ideas and inspires creative people.
- Leads editorial process, planning and execution, of all BPR original content.
- Provides oversight of the BPR news department, as well as direct supervision of on-air and production staff.
- Creates and manages a collaboration framework with other media organizations in the Western North Carolina region to address the increase of news deserts in our area.
- Develops and launches community engagement initiatives, including some partner efforts.
- Negotiates external content partnerships and works with the full BPR management team to find business models to support content production.
- Works with the Development Department to build strong cases to secure funding from major donors and foundations.
Candidates should have at least five years of relevant experience in public or commercial media, substantial experience in digital production, and at least three years of program management and staff supervision experience. The Director of Content should have excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics, as well as excellent communication skills and the ability to work under strict and challenging deadlines.
Specific skills and competencies:
- Demonstrated experience developing high quality content on broadcast and digital platforms.
- Successful experience in program and people management: goal setting, budgeting, project reporting, audio and editorial quality, content development, collaboration and team leadership.
- Experience supervising audio (broadcast and/or digital) programming and production.
- Show production and/or audio journalism experience.
- Experience using key audience broadcast and digital analytics for audience service and growth.
- Demonstrated experience launching new broadcast and digital content services.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
BPR is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. For consideration, please visit the job posting and apply online at http://liv.jobs/lhd0n.
Applications Under Review. Apply now!
Search Assistance by Livingston Associates
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates
Blue Ridge Public Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity organization and a certified living wage employer. We provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified current and prospective employees without distinction or discrimination based on of age, gender (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientation, color, race, national origin, religion, disability, military service or veteran status, or other characteristic(s) protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. This policy is reflected in all BPR practices and policies.