Position Announcement #121004 – Digital Communications Coordinator
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Digital Communications Coordinator (level 5). Salary $42,500 -$57,800. This position reports directly to the VP, Communications.
To provide strategic input for CPB communications and government relations projects and initiatives as required, including, but not limited to: website and social media content development, informational materials and presentations, media relations, and annual reports.
- Responsible for furthering positive awareness of CPB and public media through the implementation of multimedia communications strategies.
- Utilizes press, traditional media, and social media tools to proactively strengthen and build awareness of CPB and the public media system.
- Assists in the execution of the overall CPB communications and public affairs plan, media events, and communications material development.
- Serves as a writer for CPB public information materials. Final products are checked for style and grammar; ensuring editorial and visual excellence; and checked for accuracy by consulting with a variety of reference sources and conferring with appropriate officials.
- Conceives, researches, writes, edits, and disseminates material for public information products both web-based, new media and traditional distribution, directed toward various external audiences.
- Identifies opportunities to support organizational initiatives and develop website and social media communications materials to publicize these activities.
- Engages with external public media partners to draft, coordinate and execute on social media and web-based content.
- Based on strategy and protocols established by Corporate and Public Affairs, utilizes social media tools (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) to proactively strengthen and build awareness of CPB and the public media system.
- Works closely with web team to manage and update online press room and feature content on cpb.org.
- Conceptualizes, writes, and develops press releases, fact sheets, talking points, web posts, and other information to explain CPB operations, programs and activities to the press, specialized audiences, and the general public.
- Builds and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments at CPB and stays abreast of initiatives at CPB and across the public media system in order to carry out the CPB communications and government relations strategy.
- Maintains familiarity with communications platforms and techniques including media monitoring, electronic newsletters, presentation software, and Web content management tools.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline such as communications, journalism, media, or English or equivalent experience.
- Three years of progressive, relevant work experience, preferably in a similar environment, with responsibilities in areas such as media relations, public affairs, corporate communications, and/or government relations.
- Demonstrated ability to and detailed knowledge of the process of transforming copy from the raw, unedited stage to polished multimedia publication; skill in producing work of high caliber under pressure of deadlines, frequently working on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing a social media strategy.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to generate accurate, appealing and high-caliber original informational material, using effective business writing and multimedia tools to present information in an understandable, compelling format.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks/projects of varying complexity simultaneously with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and foster relationships through a professional presence and interact competently and courteously with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Skill at researching and engaging key contacts across public media.
- Proficiency in new and social media tools for strategic organizational communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- A keen attention to detail as well as strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to proactively manage priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency with social media and web content management tools, basic photo editing and multimedia file management as well as Microsoft Office and database programs.
- Experience working with executive/senior management level staff.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.