Position Announcement #123001 - Executive Director, Next Generation Warning System (NGWS) Grant Program
Who We Are: The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality content and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. Through grants, we encourage the development of content that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, especially children and minorities.
Position Summary: This position reports directly to the Vice President for System Strategies. The Executive Director for the NGWS Grant Program is responsible for working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to administer the Next Generation Warning System Grant Program (NGWSGP). The grant program’s objective is to ensure that public broadcasting entities have the capacity to acquire and implement emerging digital broadcast technology and standards to advance the nation’s public alert and warning system.
Compensation: The salary for this position will be no less than $120,000 annualized within a salary range up to $175,000. Exact salary determined based upon experience, education related to the role, CPB compensation structure and internal equity. Annual salary increases and bonus payment based on performance.
CPB provides a generous benefit programs including retirement, health, dental, life and disability insurance, commuting, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and maternity/parental leave.
- Develop and staff department with a team responsible for ensuring program success.
- Ensure that CPB meets all NGWS grant program(s) obligations which includes the acquisition and installation of updated and resilient digital broadcasting technology and equipment for public broadcasting radio and television stations.
- Establish operating plans with goals, objectives and priorities aligned with Department of Homeland Security grant awards and applicable federal regulations.
- Work with FEMA to develop station sub-grantee application requirements in accordance with program priorities.
- Manage the entirety of the process for awarding and overseeing sub-grants to broadcast organizations including overseeing the application process, tracking deliverables, establishing performance metrics, and ensuring regulatory compliance that includes Uniform Guidance reporting.
- Acts as the Primary liaison with the FEMA program staff.
- Communicate effectively regarding NGWS projects, including reports, memos, and presentations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in business or relevant area of study, or equivalent work experience.
- Federal grant and/or project management experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
- PMP certification, government program management certification, or equivalent.
- Advanced degree from an accredited university in business or in a relevant area of study.
- Knowledge or experience in working with broadcast alert and warning systems.
- Understanding of media technology and broadcast engineering services.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal communications, writing, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Strong consensus-building skills to maintain effective relationships with diverse business partners and staff.
- Ability to mentor, motivate, evaluate, and manage employees.
- Proficient with technology and experience utilizing MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams).
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org.
All applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to –
This is a hybrid work environment position, working from CPB’s office in Washington, D.C. and remote, as approved by the position’s Department Head.
Proof of full dosage of a COVID-19 vaccination is required for all CPB positions. Exemptions for religious and medical reasons will be considered.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity, as it creates a healthier work environment. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.