About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me…, and the groundbreaking podcast Serial. With an unparalleled reputation for creativity and innovation across all platforms, Chicago Public Media provides substantive news and insights, thoughtful conversation and meaningful connections to its diverse audiences throughout the Chicago area, as well as nationally and globally.
Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, streaming services and smart speakers, web, social media and mobile. Its flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is dedicated to producing high-quality journalism and engaging programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s website, wbez.org, and mobile app allow listeners to fully control their experience through its groundbreaking rePlayer functionality and on-demand platform. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo Radio (91.1 FM, vocalo.org), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative music format.
About the Job
The Board and Donor Relations Manager serves as Chicago Public Media’s primary staff liaison to the Board of Directors and to the organization’s newly established Leadership Council, WBEZ Next. CPM’s Board of Directors is the governing body of Chicago Public Media with potential membership of 30 active directors. WBEZ Next is CPM’s newly established leadership council, comprised of Chicagoland civic and business leaders, committed to growing philanthropic support and awareness of WBEZ’s mission and objectives. As a member of the Development team and reporting to the VP of Development, the Manager is primarily responsible for the logistical and strategic guidance of these two volunteer leader groups, as well as assisting in the stewardship and engagement of the Directors, the Leadership Council members, and other select donors. The Manager works in close partnership with the President & CEO, as well as other members of the Senior Leadership Team. The Manager is responsible for leading collaboration across internal departments to coordinate communication, engagement and activity for the two volunteer leadership groups.
In support of CPM Board of Directors:
- Facilitates the WBEZ Board of Director nomination process by ensuring the candidate pipeline is up to date, creating candidate bios and timelines and working with WBEZ executives and current Directors to ensure a timely and strategic Board member nomination process.
- Develop new Director Orientation process, to include the planning and facilitation of a half day on site new Director meeting, featuring presentations by members of WBEZ’s executive team.
- Ensures the Board of Director handbook includes all appropriate materials including up-to-date Director Bios, Board bylaws, committee charters, meeting dates, important organizational milestones, etc.
- Effectively track Director Participation, Giving and Engagement for the purpose of providing quarterly Director Evaluation reports to the Governance Committee and Board Chair.
- Collaborate across departments to plan and execute WBEZ’s Annual Meeting and Reception for Directors, community members and special guests.
- Direct and implement the Board of Director monthly communication memo, which will require a combination of actual writing and overseeing the writing of others and drafting, editing, and proofreading, as needed.
- Serve as the liaison for ongoing engagement opportunities for Directors, includes proactively keeping Directors apprised of CPM donor benefits, membership events, community conversations as well as facilitating complimentary ticket service for special receptions/events and community conversations.
In support of WBEZ Next:
- Develops, implements and oversees systems and processes to facilitate best practice engagement, fundraising and stewardship program for WBEZ Next volunteer leaders.
- Uses CPM’s CRM (Salesforce) and project management tools to track WBEZ Next member relationship data, including milestones, service terms, philanthropic giving, and special occasions to inform appropriate stewardship activity.
- Manage the WBEZ Next candidate pipeline by developing donor profiles, meeting briefs and supporting volunteer leaders in outreach, engagement and invitations to join the group.
- Establish a WBEZ Next member directory with member bios, contact information and annual calendar of events and meetings.
- Create and implement a WBEZ Next monthly communication memo, which will require a combination of actual writing and overseeing the writing of others and drafting, editing, and proofreading, as needed.
- Serve as the liaison for ongoing engagement opportunities for Directors, includes proactively communicating about and facilitating complimentary ticket service for special receptions, membership events and community conversations.
- Experience and qualities we are looking for:
- Experience with planning and executing executive level meetings and events for non-profit boards.
- Experience with major donor fundraising.
- Proficiency with Salesforce or other CRM software like Raisers Edge, preferred.
- Ability to work in a goal and results-driven environment, with the ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- A strong attention to detail with top-notch organizational skills.
- Professional demeanor and presentation.
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- 403(b) retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days