About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media’s flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM), is dedicated to producing high-quality, fact-based local journalism across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, web, streaming services, smart speakers, social media, and mobile apps. WBEZ’s sister station, Vocalo Radio (91.1FM), is Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station. Through a unique mix of music and conversation, Vocalo Radio gives voice to those that enrich Chicago culturally and socially. With a tradition of excellence and innovation, and a culture that embraces positivity, diversity, ambition, inclusion, and impact, Chicago Public Media is posed for a new era of growth.
About the Role
The Development Officer serves as a key member of WBEZ’s externally facing philanthropy team and is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals/families philanthropic support in support of CPM’s mission and objectives. Reporting to the Director of Development and partnering with the Development and Membership Teams, the Development Officer is responsible for building and managing a portfolio of approximately 125 – 150 individual donors/families for the purpose of deepening engagement among existing ‘major’ donors, increasing giving among ‘midlevel’ donors and ultimately growing annual revenue and increasing the number of donors giving annually at the $5,000+ level to CPM.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about championing WBEZ’s mission and vision and have enthusiasm for the organization’s role in the community. In addition to being self-motivated, organized and results-oriented, the ideal candidate is someone that enjoys building relationships with others, both inside the organization and with external constituents. The ideal candidate has an eagerness to learn, grow and help build a mid-level and major gifts program to support CPM’s key strategic priorities.
Frontline fundraising/Relationship Management (85%)
- Build and manage a portfolio of 125 – 150 prospective donors and donors with the capacity to make $5,000+ gifts with a focus on upgrading current Leadership Circle and membership donors (i.e., members/donors currently giving between $500 to $4,999 annually).
- Identify, research, qualify, and prioritize donors and prospective donors for cultivation, and solicitation. Develop comprehensive and customized solicitation and engagement strategies to generate new major gifts ($5,000+) and upgrade and sustain current annual major gift donors, setting and meeting annual dollar and retention goals in partnership with the Director of Development.
- Working collaboratively with the Development and Membership teams, create donor-centric cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies to transition qualified individuals from membership giving to major gifts.
- Identify planned giving prospects and partner with the Director of Development to secure new planned gift intentions and steward existing planned giving donors.
- Meet monthly and annual metrics goals focused on number of solicitations made, number of gifts secured, dollars raised, and number of in-person visits to donors and prospective donors, including qualification visits.
Other Fundraising Activity (15%)
- As a member of the Development Team, the Officer will play a role in our quest to create and make ongoing improvements to the systems/processes supporting major gift work.
- Participate in the hands-on, team approach to shaping and executing donor cultivation, engagement and stewardship opportunities. This includes helping with donor events, receptions, holiday card mailings, etc.
Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in a frontline fundraising role with success in securing gifts at the $5,000-$50,000 level. Goals and results-driven with ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment. Accountable with an attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate the needs of donors, stakeholders and colleagues. Proactively shares information and communicates effectively both internally and externally. Able to overcome obstacles, work independently, be flexible and have a sense of humor.
- Comfort with picking up the phone to place cold calls, able to secure face-to-face meetings with donor prospects, excellent verbal and written communication skills. High degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Understanding of fundraising industry standards, with regard to donor solicitation, confidentiality, gift crediting, stewardship, and financial principles that shape the work of fundraising professionals.
- Proficiency with constituent management and fundraising software. Salesforce or other CRM like Raisers Edge, preferred.
At Chicago Public Media, we are looking for people who are curious about the world and have an excitement for the mission of independent, nonprofit journalism. If it sounds like you would be a good fit for our team, apply today!
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- 403(b) retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days