About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me…,Nerdette, Making Oprah and the ground-breaking podcast Serial. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland’s premier media hub for high-quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
About the Opportunity
The focus of this dynamic new position is HR project management and execution. The role will continue to evolve as we work to support the mission and strategic vision of Chicago Public Media. You will report to the VP – People and Culture, and join a collaborative team which will provide a great opportunity to learn more about the various aspects of HR and own the work that will create a holistic HR framework for our modern workplace. You will review and update legacy HR programs, processes and policies which will require exposure to several aspects of HR (including a few of these: talent acquisition, development, employee relations, compensation, diversity, equity and inclusion, HR systems, etc.) and a big-picture perspective.
Working from our offices at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL, you will be accountable for working proactively with the People Team on the design and implementation of small and large HR projects; making the changes and monitoring the same for opportunities for continuous improvement. These projects will align with our work in talent management space. Because we are a small but mighty team, we all share some work in service of our organization. These items include greeting/exiting candidates, answering basic HR related questions, etc.
Required Skills and Experience
- Assist with the design, implementation, tracking and completion of company-wide projects including talent management, DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion), talent acquisition, etc. Also, functioning as a point person with external vendors, if/when utilized
- Design tools and metrics to provide just-in-time updates to leadership teams (open positions, completion of reviews, etc.)
- Manage aspects of compensation including improving tools to assist with the overall analysis, tracking and communication of changes
- Manage aspects of the candidate experience to provide intended outcomes; seek and implement feedback from candidates and internal stakeholders
- Organize and manage detailed aspects of compliance related items including but not limited to maintaining legal postings (state, federal, safety postings), sponsorship files, etc.
- Organize People Team data and tools allowing ease for team and others to leverage
- Seek, provide and implement recommendations to enhance the impact of our work to continually and directly align with our mission, priorities and strategies.
Additional Position Requirements
- Minimum 5 years HR experience is required; direct interface with talent development or talent acquisition preferred
- Resourceful and proactive; uses curiosity and resources to pull together data/information to arrive at insights and build out a plan of action
- Works effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Builds credibility and develops functional relationships across organizations
- Facilitates meetings effectively and efficiently, honors the agenda and listens to participants
- Handles confidential information with integrity and mindfully represents the People Team
- Delivers clear, empathetic communication in both written and verbal form
- Brings a service orientation along with the ability to set boundaries and explain reasoning
- Uses time management skills to prioritize important, critical and “pants-on-fire” duties
- Pays strict attention to details and drives items to completion while understanding the necessary points of collaboration
- Manages to a “minimum viable project” orientation and builds out to a more sustainable solution based on the needs and feedback of the people in our organization
- Manages projects and tasks to full completion while consistently communicating updates
- Has successfully managed HR projects from end-to-end, while continually displaying effective communication with stakeholders
- Agility with HRIS systems (we use Taleo and UltiPro) necessary to pull and monitor data/metrics
- Comfortable with MS Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- College education is preferred, but specific work experience may meet required qualifications
Working at Chicago Public Media
Our associates are in service of our mission. Our full-time employee population hovers around 150 people, and approximately half of our team is represented by SAG-AFTRA, at our newly renovated open and collaborative space at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. We know it is imperative that our workplace reflects our community so we can, in turn, provide content that connects people. We are committed to having a workplace that thrives by creating a place of belonging where everyone can contribute their talents. If you share our passion for public service news and information, join us!