WBEZ is looking for an aspiring early career Marketer to join our 2020 Summer/Fall Internship Cohort to be a part of our mission to bring substantive news and insights, thoughtful conversation and meaningful connections to our audiences in the Chicago area and beyond.
As a Marketing intern, you will be involved with audience growth campaigns for a mission driven media organization. You will have hands on experience with digital marketing strategies to reach new audiences. During your internship you will be involved with coordinating assets for marketing campaigns and media sponsorships. Researching top influencers, competitors, and trends in the news media and podcast space.
By the end of your internship, you will have experience in cross-channel marketing campaign management; including social, digital display, search, podcast, and on-air. Learn how to collect and report KPI's to inform marketing strategy.
You to apply you should have:
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from a marketing or communications program
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Adobe Creative Suite
- Great organizational skills
- Excitement for learning about public media as an industry
- A cover letter (see below)
Application Deadline is: Friday April 3, 2020
- The internship will start June 22 and last through December 11, 2020.
- This is a paid internship, $14.00 an hour.
- Internship hours are part-time, 24 hours a week during daytime hours. Due to scheduling requirements of our internships, we do not recommend students with full course loads apply. However, we can have a conversation if you can demonstrate the ability to manage your time.
- We are unable accommodate interns who are only available just for the summer.
How We Select Interns
Our intern selection process is structured to gauge your writing and news judgment. The first round is us reading through cover letters and resumes. The second round is an interview with our selection committee, where we ask you to present story pitches and give feedback about some of our programming . If you make it to second-round candidate, interviews will either be in person or via video chat if you are out of town.
Don’t Forget Your Cover Letter!
Cover letters help us learn a little bit about you, and what you hope to get out of an internship. We want to learn about your career goals and what type of skills you want to learn or strengthen in an internship. We are especially interested in hearing how your experiences and perspectives (personal, professional, academic, or otherwise) could potentially bring a diverse perspectives to our mission to introduce our brand to Chicago's diverse communities.
Want to make your cover letter really stand out? Include links to your portfolio with marketing samples to show us, either from classwork or from a previous internship.
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs as This American Life, Wait,Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Oprah, Making Beyoncé, as well as Motive, our latest true crime podcast.
Apply via our careers page.