About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest, most decorated, aggressively creative, and journalistically ambitious public radio organizations in the nation. We are home to WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR news station, celebrating our 75th year anniversary broadcasting at 91.5 FM, and Vocalo Radio, Chicago’s Urban Alternative music station at 91.1 FM. We are the birthplace of such celebrated programs as This American Life, Wait,Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Sound Opinions, Curious City and most recently, a growing portfolio of podcasts that include Serial, the “Making” series, including Making Obama and Making Oprah, and The Trouble with Shannon Cason. WBEZ’s award-winning newsroom is growing in order to tackle the stories that matter most to our community. As an essential source of news and context, we are a powerful connector across lines of difference.
About the Job
Reporting directly to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Senior Manager of Audience Growth is an inspiring leader with strong digital chops, whose passion for WBEZ translates to strategies and tactics that increase awareness of and grow audience and online traffic to CPM across multiple platforms – including web, app, podcasts, and broadcast.
This position is primarily responsible for developing and implementing data-driven traffic growth strategies through management of owned and paid media efforts. This includes paid media campaign creation, oversight, and reporting in support of strategic and tactical audience development initiatives
The ideal candidate is someone passionate about Chicago Public Media, who has thought deeply about the future of the media business, and who is comfortable working at the intersection of editorial, audience development, project and product management, and brand marketing.
- Develop and execute a cross-platform branding and audience growth plan to step change audience across all CPM platforms.
- Determine the most strategic and optimized use of a limited paid marketing budget and manage traffic acquisition campaigns across multiple channels and platforms.
- Use analytics (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, among others) to aggressively optimize all audience development activities and understand user behavior -- infusing it into the organization. You will oversee the interpretation of data, developing actionable insights for product enhancements and content development.
- Lead, plan and manage in-market omnichannel campaigns aimed at building relevance with key growth targets.
- Support Senior Director of Communications on public and media relations activities to maximize the visibility of CPM, its editorial content and its leadership as a key element of broader audience development activity.
- Work with the editorial departments to effectively use social media and SEO to deepen WBEZ’s relationship with various audience segments.
- Build and leverage community organization relationships to further audience development and brand initiatives.
- Manage external agencies and vendors to support creative and technical deliverables.
- Hands-on progressive experience building and managing digital audience growth strategy, ideally for a media or content-driven company
- Experience with digital advertising and audience development methods (e.g., paid marketing, social media, SEO, etc) with proven experience implementing best practices to advance organizational capabilities.
- Familiarity with digital analytics and tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook among others.
- Entrepreneurial instincts and hands-on attitude. Eye for the big picture, but also an enjoyment of hands-on, day-to-day operations. Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Outstanding communication skills and an ability to work with both C-suite stakeholders and internal team members
- Outstanding project management and analytical skills, including use of metrics to guide projects/decisions.
- Financial management skills, to include budgeting and forecasting.
- Brand/ Marketing Agency experience is a strong plus
Working at Chicago Public Media
At Chicago Public Media, we care deeply about our employees as we know attracting, developing and growing talent is key to our success and enhancing our impact. Our culture is one where collaboration, ideas, and innovation are encouraged. We value colleagues who will enhance our culture by bringing new ideas, diverse experiences and talents to our dynamic workplace.
Chicago Public Media’s dedication to promoting diversity and inclusion is reflective across our brands, WBEZ 91.5 FM and Vocalo 91.1 FM, in our staff and in our work. We are fully focused on equality of opportunity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, experience and all other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
At Chicago Public Media we believe dedication to a great workplace includes supporting our employees and their families. As a result, we provide a broad and generous benefits package for you at hire and in the years to come. Our benefits include:
- 6 weeks fully paid family leave
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave
- High quality Medical, Dental, and Vision plans at an affordable cost
- A 403(b)retirement plan with a company match
- Generous paid time off, including starting with 3 weeks’ vacation and 4 personal days