VPM is looking for a Digital News Editor to work with our news team to increase the reach and impact of our news stories. The Digital News Editor must be able to respond quickly to breaking news, work collaboratively across teams, and deliver compelling and innovative digital news content.
- Collaborate with news team to develop and implement digital strategy for news, develop strategy and performance targets for news and digital teams, report on the same to management.
- From time to time, create content for broadcast.
- Manage Digital News Video Producer and work with them to create and optimize digital video, images, graphics, interactives and other content. Manage production of daily articles and features for web and social media. Where needed, contribute to the reporting of articles and features for broadcast.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed, including evenings and weekends.
- BA or BS in journalism or related field.
- Experience working in broadcast, print or online journalism.
- Strong understanding of public media storytelling techniques for audio, video and web.
- Outstanding writing and copy editing skills.
- Strong news judgment.
- Strong understanding of social media platforms.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, projects and tasks.
- Ability to extract and analyze data to refine and improve news content
- Understanding of CMS and SEO best practices
- Experience using Hearken or other digital news engagement platforms.
- Experience coaching others on developing digital content
- Experience covering local and state elections.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite or similar software.
VPM (Formally known as WCVE) is the largest locally owned and operated public media company in Central Virginia. As Virginia’s home for public media, VPM provides the best of PBS and NPR programming coupled with a strong set of community-based programs and services designed to make an important impact in the areas of arts, news, history, science and education. Each week, the stations are accessible to nearly 2 million people across Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley.
Our many employee benefits include health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) savings plan with match and tuition reimbursement. We offer a general amount of paid time off and holidays, flexible work arrangements and a friendly, supportive atmosphere.
VPM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, email email@example.com with resume, cover letter and the following:
- Link to your digital portfolio, including writing samples, examples of social campaigns and effective digital engagement. Tell us how you leveraged digital platforms to maximize the impact and reach of your content.
- Tell us about your favorite public broadcasting show. Share a specific story, what you liked about how it was reported/produced, and explain why you think it was effective.