The Morning Edition Host/News Reporter is the voice of Morning Edition in the Four Corners. The position is also responsible for reporting and producing local news under the direction of the News Director.
The second part of the job will be focused on community engagement reporting. Duties will include:
- Convene community gatherings on multiple platforms ( e.g. live events in person, live events online or on-air, virtual conversations, etc.)
- Cultivate community connections, including new media or non-profit partnerships
- Work with KSJD partners at Third Thursday events, with the goal of reaching audiences unfamiliar with or currently unengaged with KSJD
- Pitch, edit, produce, publish and distribute content for multiple platforms, with community engagement and community feedback as a key component
- You are a creative and curious professional with experience establishing and maintaining relationships within various communities. Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Cultural competency; respect for diverse perspectives, experiences, and narratives
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, deadline-driven environment
- Flexibility to manage competing priorities while meeting deadlines
- Commitment to transparency and accuracy
- Multimedia skills (e.g. audio editing, writing for digital, photography/video production)
- Google Suite, particularly experience with using google forms for surveys and community engagement or outreach
This position is a good opportunity for someone who’s graduated from journalism school or someone who has been working in broadcast news. It’s an opportunity to learn skills on the job, like hosting, with a collaborative team that will guide the way. It is a solid real-world reporting experience in a community that desperately needs responsible local journalism.
The Four Corners region of the SW is spectacularly beautiful and is well suited for the person who enjoys the great outdoors and rural living. The weather here is hard to beat with over 300 days of sunshine each year. It is home to Mesa Verde National park and adjacent to both the San Juan Mountains and the deserts of SE Utah.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Host Morning Edition from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. on weekdays.
- Work with News Director and Digital Projects manager to outline Community Engagement activities.
- Cover local issues with feature stories, news spots, interviews, and local newscasts.
- Collaborate and share coverage on major stories with the Rocky Mountain Community Radio (RMCR) network.
- Post news on KSJD’s website and help compile our digital news feed with local, regional, and national NPR content.
- Coordinate all KSJD community engagement activities
- Host additional hours during fundraising drives; work with development director on local news messaging.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism and/or journalism experience at a newspaper, digital outlet, or radio station.
- Broadcast radio experience preferred.
- Most important is an eagerness to make a difference in a community through responsible journalism.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation: $$35,000- $38,000 depending on experience
REQUIRED MEETINGS AND TIME/TRAVEL
- Semi-weekly staff meetings.
- Work-related conferences (RMCR).
- Mileage covered by KSJD for work travel.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Open until filled.
To apply, please submit the following to News Director, Lucas Brady Woods firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter demonstrating your passion for this role and that addresses the following question:
- What do you see as public media’s role in a rural community over the next 3-5 years?
3. At least three professional references
4. Links to at least two radio or audio news stories, interviews, or podcasts you worked on, along with descriptions detailing your role in the piece. If you don’t have audio samples, please record a previously written news story or other announcements (This may be included as a separate document in your application materials)