Works as part of a multi-discipline and collaborative team of Operations staff including IT professionals, Television, and Radio engineers. This role is hands-and-action focused, supporting traditional IT in addition to working in an engaging broadcast environment where new ideas are welcomed. Possess the skills of a self-starter who can work independently and provide friendly support to all functional areas across the company. Works with a team of individuals who support the 24/7 Operations of a statewide TV and Radio network with multiple studio locations. As a non-profit organization, employees should be willing and able to accept other duties and tasks unrelated to the role of the Junior Systems Administrator.
The Junior System Administrator provides a wide range of services. Applicants must have the ability to complete the following essential functions:
- Adheres to and enforces company IT polices and industry cybersecurity best practices such as CISA.
- Collaborates with third-party vendors who may be involved in diagnosing and correcting system related issues and assisting with solutions
- Documents and completes issue resolutions using the helpdesk electronic tracking system.
- Maintains an updated and current inventory of company technical equipment using an internal tracking system.
- Maintains tracking and inventory of computer/printer devices for asset controls.
- Provides technical expertise and recommendations for company growth and efficiency.
- Verbally communicates and writes reports on all maintenance activities through a combination of electronic and written logs.
- Monitors company data backup both off-site and on-site to meet industry standards.
- Monitors SIEM alerts and remediates or elevates issues when appropriate.
- Provides hands-on support for productions reaching all platforms including television, digital, and radio.
- Provides end-user support, whether remote or in-person, resolving technical issues and providing technical assistance for all operating systems and applications via the company helpdesk.
- Provides new employees with required hardware and appropriate access to the company’s computer systems; off-boards employees as they exit the company.
- Reviews incoming patches and assesses impact on business operations.
- Trains staff in basic use of software, hardware, and other tools needed for them to complete their work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
This position has many responsibilities. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assists in maintaining and managing business applications (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud, Slack, Zoom).
- Assists in troubleshooting, diagnosing, and remediating network anomalies and issues.
- Assists in maintaining hardware and software of various network infrastructures (e.g., Firewall, Switches, Routers, Copper and Fiber patches, Wireless Access Points).
- Assists in maintaining various Microsoft Windows Server roles and applications (e.g., DNS, DHCP, AD).
- Assists in preparation of strategies for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Provides feedback for efficient and productive use of technology systems.
- Assists in recommending, developing, and implementing system changes, where appropriate.
- Integrates new technologies and workflows in an ever-changing technological landscape, when needed.
- Works collaboratively with the Operations team and other company departments to meet company and/or project goals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Best practices around maintaining data integrity and backup infrastructure.
- CISA cybersecurity protocols.
- Current market trends. IP networks, Virtual Machine Environments, Microsoft operating systems, and best practices for each.
- Broadcast specific technology such as AoIP (Dante), FTP, media encoding, and distribution.
- Communicating technical concepts to both technical and non-technical clients/stakeholders.
- Demonstrating effective time management and organizational skills to prioritize, organize, multi-task, accomplish work in a timely manner, and meet specified deadlines.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with consultants, engineering firms, contractors and staff.
- Providing technical expertise and recommendations for team growth and technological innovation.
- Taking ownership and action within the scope of the position to ensure and/or improve the success of Company objectives.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers/clients using written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Cross-train to support other operations teams/departments
- Grow skillset and expand into more advanced roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain records; prepare reports.
- Provide recommendations on new and emerging technology.
- Start, participate, manage and finalize projects.
- Work effectively with communities and individuals who are racially, culturally, and /or linguistically diverse.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Job functions are typically performed under conditions such as what the Department of Labor describes as Medium work, which is exerting up to 36 to 50 pounds of force occasionally (occasionally: activity or conditions that exist up to one-third of the time) and/or 22-30 pounds of force frequently (frequently: activity or conditions that exist between one-third and two-thirds of the time), and/or greater than negligible up to 11- 15 pounds of force constantly (constantly: activity or condition exists more than two-thirds of the time) to move objects. Activities of this position may include frequent in-person interactions. Must have the ability to perform manual labor both in, and out, of doors. It is essential to be able to stand for prolonged periods, perform extensive and repetitive arm motions and use fine motor skills. Must have close visual acuity to perform an activity.
Job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work. This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, salary exempt position which may include frequent in-person or virtual interactions. The normal workday is between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm, but does include weekend and evening shifts to support production on an as-needed basis. This position is expected to be in the office to maintain and provide direct support for company technology assets. In-state travel is expected up to 10% to support remote production and satellite studio locations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field AND minimum A+ certification (Network+ certification preferred) AND 5+ years of IT experience; AND/OR any similar combination of education and experience. Experience in a broadcast or media environment a plus, supporting both in television and radio operations.
We recognize that not everyone enters the world of work with the same advantage, opportunity, and privilege. This is why your skills and experiences are important to us. Take the leap and apply, you just might be the person we are looking for!
Applications are only accepted through our career portal. Apply online at: https://ctpublic.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/139?c=ctpublic