WHO WE ARE: KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KERA Arts, KXT, WRR, and the Denton Record-Chronicle. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA and its platforms as a destination for trusted educational programming and initiatives, community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
The Denton Record-Chronicle is seeking an Audience and Engagement Producer to join our Newsroom at the Denton Record-Chronicle (DRC). The Audience and Engagement Producer should be a passionate, entrepreneurial, innovative person to help bring the Denton Record-Chronicle’s focus on audience growth and engagement and utility-driven content on digital platforms to life.
This is an entry-level position that welcomes creativity and opportunities for growth and professional development. This position is classified as FLSA non-exempt, is eligible for overtime and reports to the Director of Content.
This position is full-time, and the typical day will be 1-2 hours outside the typical workday. Some weekend work is expected, which will be included in the typical 40-hour work week.
WHAT YOU'LL DO: We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every job qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be a good fit, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
The ideal audience and engagement producer:
· Is obsessed with growing and serving audiences through community journalism. We are building connections and seeking new ways to deliver the most relevant content to the most relevant audience at the most relevant times. That means connecting with readers through the most seamless experiences possible, such as email newsletters, website content, notifications and social media.
· Is intensely focused on getting results and changing processes to be effective. We need help setting meaningful, measurable goals for our teams and managing progress against them.
· Is effective at managing time and project schedules. We need a digital engagement champion to work with our partners and vendors to deliver the best results for our business through web development, email campaigns, subscriber initiatives and various other audience-driven projects.
· Is connected to the world outside our newsroom. The ideal candidate must be capable of running the DRC’s social media platforms and email newsletters and developing the appropriate voice and tone for the company while serving as a point of first contact for interaction with readers.
· Is comfortable getting messy with metrics. The audience and engagement producer understands how to use metrics to analyze story selection, coverage decisions and beat development — with the overarching goal of increasing our number of subscribers.
· Is ready to blaze new trails. The ideal candidate will conduct strategic experiments with new ways to reach new audiences – such as creating and curating custom newsletters, taking part in reader forums and hosting Reddit AMAs – and leading newsroom staffers to take part in those efforts.
As a KERA/DRC employee:
· Participate in broadcast and online fundraising as needed.
· Be an active participant in KERA’s work towards equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
· Work in a manner that is consistent with KERA’s mission, vision and values; and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
· Perform additional duties as assigned.
This list of job duties is not exhaustive and is subject to regular reviews and updates
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
· EXCELLENT writing and AP Style editing skills
· Love of writing, editing and proofreading
· Excitement about the future of local news content, delivery and engagement
· Enthusiasm for audience development and engagement – and the tools to understand them
· Enthusiasm for collaboration and working well with others
· Strong attention to detail, organization and efficiency
· Excellent time management skills
BONUS IF YOU BRING:
· Love of the Denton County community
· Intern or work experience in journalism, communications, social media or brand strategy
$35,000 - $45,000 annually, depending on experience
· Generous PTO policy (18 days annually)
· Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance
· Flexible scheduling and hybrid work environment
· 401k offering with company match
· Culture intentionally focused on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
· Robust employee assistance program available to the employee and all members of their household
We expect that this position will work out of our Denton office one day per week, with office access available anytime for additional in-office work and working remotely otherwise.
HOW TO APPLY:
· Complete the application on KERA’s employment page.
· Attach a resume and cover letter summarizing why you are the best fit for the role
KERA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law