Who we are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is the largest and most watched public television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. We’re also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning we operate independent of any educational, government or other institution. Our funding comes from the community we serve.
Each week more than two million people watch our five broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, 90.9 WRCJ for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: diversity, engagement, trust, innovation, excellence, financial stability, and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are actively seeking dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Executive Director, Education in Wixom, MI, in a hybrid work structure, working in-office one day a week and remotely for the rest.
The Executive Director of Education at Detroit Public Television leads a team of professionals focused on providing supplemental services to improve educational outcomes in children from cradle to career. This position establishes a vision and work plan for the education team, provides day-to-day management and coaching, while helping each team member reach their highest potential. This position also represents Detroit Public Television in the community, with philanthropy, and with state government to ensure a sustainable financial platform for the work.
The Executive Director of Education will lead DPTV’s work across three key areas:
- Leveraging assets provided by PBS Kids, PBS Learning Media, and other national resources across all platforms and for face-to-face engagement of parents, family members, and caregivers in early childhood, from infants and toddlers through early elementary.
- The Michigan Learning Channel, which provides broadcast and on-demand instructional programming for Pre-K through 12th grade, in collaboration with six other PBS television stations in Michigan and Indiana
- The Future of Work initiative on the Michigan Learning Channel, which provides educational materials and guidance for students and families facing post-public school decisions about careers and post-secondary education.
- Ensure the fulfillment of deliverables for all philanthropic giving in support of DPTV’s educational work, including major donors and foundations, while also developing new areas for investment by philanthropic funders.
- Develop realistic systems for data collection and evaluation of DPTV’s work in education to demonstrate impact and outcomes
- Maintain, extend, and expand the strong relationships DPTV has developed with community partners, universities, and with state education entities, developing new partnerships and relationships as the work continues to grow
- Serve as the facilitator for advisory committees that help shape DPTV’s work in education
- Make regular reports to the DPTV Board of Trustees on the education initiative
- Serve as a mentor and teacher for the DPTV education team, developing their leadership and management skills and help them envision future roles for themselves within the organization
- Collaborate with marketing and communications to share DPTV’s educational resources statewide, as well as within the PBS system
- Collaborate with other DPTV initiative leaders, looking for opportunities to share content development in journalism, public affairs, arts and culture, environment, and health and wellness with audiences focused on education
- Evidence of strategic visioning, planning, and execution
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Presentation experience in front of high-level stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong, mutually beneficial relationships
- Evidence of work with diverse populations, including those that speak another language or who are struggling with developmental or learning disabilities
- Advanced degree or post-bachelor studies in education
- Experience as a classroom teacher
- Tenure as a principal, superintendent, or in curriculum development preferred
- Experience developing and implementing educational media, including student-produced media as an educational tool, is desired
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop teachers or other education personnel
Individual must be able to:
- Type, and sit behind a desk for extended periods of time
- Look at video, computer screens, printed documents
- Drive on company business
Individual is exposed to a typical office setting with computer equipment and a TV studio or on-location site with some related business travel.
What you’ll get:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid in-person and work from home model
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and 90.9 WRCJ, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.