Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
We are actively pursuing a dynamic and diverse team member to join us in the role of Marketing Generalist. The station offices are in Wixom, MI. Due to Covid, we are currently working remotely and have not yet determined when we will return to the offices.
The Marketing Generalist will support the Marketing and Digital team with the project management and execution of marketing plans to build brand awareness across all platforms for Detroit Public TV (DPTV). This role works with the Manager of Marketing to execute innovative marketing initiatives in coordination with all departments, with measurable goals and objectives, to support brand awareness and audience growth.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
• Create, coordinate, and deploy multi-channel digital campaigns with the goal of building audience for company initiatives, events, programs, and productions.
• Support the execution of marketing plans for the organization through project management techniques and EOS best practices including but not limited to the management of a workflow tool like Teamwork or other.
• Oversee the execution of the membership publication, Signal Magazine, ensuring marketing priorities and sponsor deliverables are met.
• Write and/or edit content across a wide variety of marketing platforms including but not limited to:
o Articles for Signal magazine
o Email and newsletter copy to promote programs and initiatives
o Press and media releases
o Copy for ads, flyers, brochures, etc.
o Marketing and blog content for websites
• Review e-newsletters for all initiatives to maintain DPTV brand and image and oversee distribution to targeted niche audiences
• Maintain the annual marketing calendar
• Develop and create graphics and marketing materials ensuring brand guidelines are met
• Assist in the placement of outside media- paid and earned
• Support the marketing and execution of virtual and in person events
• Track and analyze key metrics and KPIs
• Other duties as assigned
• Knowledge and understanding of popular social media and marketing platforms
• Strong project management skills, with knowledge of project management software preferred
• Excellent writing and communications skills
• Critical thinking – ability to read and interpret data to inform decisions
• Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) concepts
• Experience with Adobe Photoshop or other graphic generating program
• Creative, innovative, and thoughtful approaches to assignments
• Ability to set and meet deadlines and to work irregular and extended hours when required
• Strong knowledge of various marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, CRM systems (e.g., Salesforce), and content management systems
• Ability to generate and maintain digital tracking and analytic reports in Excel required
• Knowledge of and adherence to tenets of accuracy, fairness, and ethical standards of communications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, or Broadcast or Multimedia Media, or related subject matter field required
• 3+ years of communications, marketing, brand management or related experience
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.