ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
We are currently actively recruiting for our Producer position located in Wixom, MI.
The Producer is responsible for managing the production, creative team, crew, script, budget, marketing materials, packaging and deliverables of DPTV’s broadcast and digital productions.
• Produce broadcast and digital programs, series, concerts, interviews, short-form videos, and virtual events. Responsibilities include:
• Scheduling crew, talent, equipment, and facilities
• Conducting off-camera interviews
• Determining project b-roll needs
• Preparing graphics
• Overseeing set design and lighting
• Producing roll-in materials
• Editing rough cuts
• Overseeing final program edit
• Booking travel
• And other duties essential to the production
• Line produce live broadcasts and digital events including creating rundowns, coordinating guests and hosts, timing the show, and coordinating all video and graphic needs.
• Research project content to inform scripting and storylines
• Maintain strong relationships with clients throughout the production window and ensure completion of all project deliverables.
• Manage and reconcile project budgets
• In collaboration with DPTV Digital & Marketing team, coordinate promotion needs related to productions including web, on-air, and social media marketing
• Other duties as assigned.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; including clear storytelling and script writing
• Strong project management skills
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
• Effective influence and leadership skills to motivate teams
• Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
• Excellent follow up skills
• Excellent ability to self-prioritize and manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time
• Solution-oriented under high pressure
• Basic knowledge of production set ups and technical equipment
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications or similar discipline, or equivalent experience
• Demonstrated experience with live multi-camera programs preferred
• Basic experience with Adobe Premiere
• Ability to work a varied schedule including occasional evenings, weekends, and some holidays
What you’ll get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
• Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
• Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
• Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
• Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
• Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.*