ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement, and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain, and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
Detroit Public TV is seeking a Senior Major Gifts Officer. The Senior Major Gifts Officer at DPTV and WRCJ 90.9FM is responsible for raising funds and planned gifts from major and leadership donors ($1,000+ and $10,000+) to support DPTV AND WRCJ-FM’s mission and operations.
• Develop relationships with a portfolio of approximately 150-200 major donors, including existing and newly developed donors.
• Qualify and tier donors in portfolio on semi-annual basis and as new donors self-identify.
• Develop individual, monthly cash-flowed plans for each donor in the MGO’s portfolio, utilizing the Moves Management process and internal resources (staff, board, programming, marketing, etc.) as appropriate to grow donors over time.
• Participate by learning about programming, obtaining needed information from the organization, and turning around donor communications to meet the needs of individual donor plans.
• Conduct one-on-one visits to qualify, cultivate and solicit donors to increase giving.
• Achieve annual fundraising goal and assisting in meeting unit goals; Performance and productivity will be measured on the following core metrics as determined annually:
- Dollars raised for campaign gifts
- Dollars raised for cash and in-kind gifts
- Number of Major Gift solicitations
- Number of Major Gifts closed
- Number of face to face meetings (visits)
- Number of meaningful contacts each month
• Document and record all activities in Salesforce CRM.
• Demonstrate a passion for the importance, urgency, exclusivity, and power of public media to improve lives, and a desire to work in a trusted organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Accomplished philanthropic fundraiser with a demonstrated ability to present the strategic direction and the importance of the institution to the community
• Strong knowledge of the programming and community priorities of Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM preferred
• Excellent research, written, spoken, social media, and presentational skills
• Ability to work collegially with others in the organization
• Bachelor’s degree in Philanthropy, Business, Communications, or related field of study or equivalent experience
• 6+ years of experience in Development including:
o extensive use of fundraising database software to capture donor information, research donor history/interests, and generate actionable lists; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
o 4+ years of experience working with Board members and Sr. Managers to develop and execute an “ask”
o 4+ years of experience writing fundraising proposals or grant applications o Proven track record of successfully soliciting and closing major gifts
o Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel locally
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.