GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
The Chief Diversity Officer reports to the CEO and has responsibility for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives across GBH. The CDO will be a member of the executive leadership team, developing and leading the DE&I strategy, working cross-functionally to drive internal and external DE&I strategies.
- Provides vision, leadership, and counsel on matters of organization diversity and inclusion, including: diversity initiatives; strategic planning; recruiting and retention, training, education, and research; community relations; policy development; communications; and implementation of high-impact efforts that advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect for all staff.
- Inform and advise GBH’s leadership on practices, policies and initiatives that can execute the diversity agenda and support a workplace that is inclusive and equitable.This will include examining areas of cultural awareness and respect while helping staff and managers address areas of bias that can hinder GBH’s commitment to a respectful and inclusive workplace.
- Act as a thought leader internally and externally, sharing perspectives, best practices and resources.
- Lead accountability efforts to influence leaders across the organization to integrate diversity and inclusion efforts across the board.
- Help lead a foundation wide Diversity and Inclusion Council.
- Keep current on diversity and inclusion developments, opportunities, and metrics/trends outside the foundation and use that knowledge to develop and implement diversity and inclusion goals and direction.
- Build relationships with external partners (e.g., universities, associations, advocacy groups) to research and implement custom and effective diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Partner with Human Resources Talent Acquisition team to implement inclusive sourcing and recruiting strategies, enable and equip recruiters and hiring managers with the tools, training, and resources to attract diverse talent and set them up for success in the hiring process.
- Develop strategy to address retention, development and promotion of diverse employees. Ensure an inclusive succession planning process.
- Partner with Human Resources Total Rewards team to review and refine current pay and benefits practices to ensure equity and inclusivity.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to consult on content creation, programs, community outreach, audience development, educational materials, and outreach
- Build bold, creative diversity initiatives that demonstrate leadership as an innovator, convener, ambassador, collaborator, partner, and catalyst in mobilizing leaders from various institutional and community sectors around diversity goals.
- Contribute to building GBH’s employment branding strategy, and represent the Foundation internally and externally, telling our story and sharing our commitments, programs, lessons learned and progress.
- Partner with HR in redesigning a process for staff to report instances of racism within GBH and holding all staff accountable for their behavior toward others
- Support the creation of resource/affinity groups to support diverse groups of employees in each location.
- Own the collaboration between and with internal Employee Resource Groups, spearheading the development and growth of the groups and their sponsors to ensure lasting business and social impact.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience in a related field.
- Track record of success designing, developing, and leading the execution of measurable and scalable diversity and inclusion programs, solutions, and initiatives.
- Extensive experience leading cultural transformation and implementing diversity and inclusion programs to drive a high-performance workforce.
- Expert skills in building and maintaining collaborative relationships across multiple teams, gaining buy-in, and effectively driving change for new initiatives in a complex organization.
- Strong understanding of benchmarks, leading practices, and innovations in diversity and inclusion as well as the strengths and drawbacks of what has been tried in the past.
- Excellent project management and collaboration skills with the ability to interface with the Board and across all levels of the enterprise .
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to track data, develop reports, and present metrics.
- Prior experience developing and deploying company-wide initiatives.
- Experience in workforce development, employee training and education communications, and development/fundraising.
- Leadership experience with a demonstrated ability to create and execute effective organizational strategies and transformation
- Experience converting passion to action with an understanding of how to influence organizational and systemic change
- Integrity and a strong sense of fairness.
- Ability to establish relationship and trust across an organization.
- Ability to think analytically, and understand how to leverage data to identify opportunities, inspire action and drive outcomes across the organization open to and comfortable with risk and a willingness to help GBH chart new courses in terms of content, revenue, marketing, and audience engagement.
- Self-starter and an individual who enjoys working with a team.
- Ability to generate excitement around ideas and to inspire compromise and cooperation.
- Clarity of oral and written expression, strong public speaking skills and ability to relate to and engage diverse audiences, diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to remain calm and lead under pressure and rapidly changing events. Energy, patience, humor and optimism.
WB&B has been exclusively retained for this search. Ken Roldan and Toyann McPhoy King are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.