GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives. GBH’s News seeks to inform, educate, and enlighten our audience on both the News of the day and the News in historical context through in-depth, high-quality journalism using the best tools and methods of the craft. GBH always seeks to report on and facilitate discussion of the news with integrity, fairness, balance, accuracy, and civility; GBH News also seeks to tell the stories of and allow expression of the diversity of voices that make up our entire community.
GBH News is Boston’s only fully integrated local public media entity with Television, Radio, and Digital all working out of one newsroom. Our daily goal is to go beyond the headlines, examining deeper topics and themes, and adding context and perspective to stories we cover.
GBH has made a serious commitment to local journalism. Our newsroom of three dozen reporters ranges from radio and television hosts to beat reporters covering City Hall, Worcester, and Dorchester to a full-time investigative team. We are committed to making a difference with excellent reporting; In just the past year our reporting has led the state to create a new government agency; has led colleges to drop policies that withheld transcripts from students with small debts; and has won regional Murrow, Emmy and Public Media Journalism awards, among others.
Our newsroom every day advances the broader GBH mission statement: we enrich people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH News is looking for an Executive Producer for its flagship daily talk show Boston Public Radio. The Executive Producer will oversee and manage the daily production of our three-hour live midday radio program, hosted by seasoned Boston journalists Jim Braude and Margery Eagan, which offers thought-provoking discussions on the day’s news and issues. The show regularly hosts our region’s most influential policymakers, business leaders, and cultural mavens, both informing and amplifying other great journalism across our newsroom.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated editorial and managerial excellence in a news broadcast context.
- Oversee the staff, keep on top of the division of labor, performance, and morale
- Direct the editorial vision of the show and be responsible for daily content and tone
- Oversee daily editorial meetings with staff to field pitches (guest ideas, talker ideas)
- Oversee and plan special coverage, such as elections, anniversaries (Boston Marathon Bombing, 9/11, etc.,) and other major events.
- Establish, meet and sustain DEI standards
- Maintain relationships with guests, creative partners, others in the newsroom, and city newsmakers
- Advance digital opportunities to expand the reach of the show beyond broadcast
- Provide training, mentorship, and career advancement opportunities for junior staff on the team
- Operate as a respected and respectful teammate in a large and diverse newsroom, with the ability to break silos for the benefit of the broader news mission.
- Other production and management need as they arise.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 4-6 years experience in a live broadcast
- Experience recording and editing sound preferred
- Experience writing for news, scripts, billboards, and web content
- Local news and/or newsroom experience strongly preferred
- Flexibility, adaptability, and resourcefulness are critical
- Strong knowledge of local, regional and national news
- Strong management and organizational skills a must
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Full- Time Staff Position
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.