GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives. GBH’s News seeks to inform, educate, and enlighten our audience on both the News of the day and the News in historical context through in-depth, high-quality journalism using the best tools and methods of the craft. GBH always seeks to report on and facilitate discussion of the news with integrity, fairness, balance, accuracy, and civility; GBH News also seeks to tell the stories of and allow expression of the diversity of voices that make up our entire community.
GBH News is Boston’s only fully integrated local public media entity with Television, Radio, and Digital all working out of one newsroom. Our daily goal is to go beyond the headlines, examining deeper topics and themes, and adding context and perspective to stories we cover.
GBH has made a serious commitment to journalism. Our newsroom of three dozen reporters ranges from radio and television hosts to beat reporters covering City Hall, Worcester, and Dorchester to a full-time investigative team. We are committed to making a difference with excellent reporting; In just the past year our reporting has led the state to create a new government agency; has led colleges to drop policies that withheld transcripts from students with small debts; and has won regional Murrow, Emmy and Public Media Journalism awards, among others.
Our news every day advances the broader GBH mission statement: we enrich people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH News is looking for a Senior Digital Editor to join its growing digital news team. The Senior Digital Editor will create editorial content for broadcast locally on multiple platforms including the web. This person must be able to balance several stories simultaneously and adapt to both breaking news and feature reports and will work with members of the team to create impactful, vetted, and important stories.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, have experience with news copy-editing and live reporting S/he should have strong writing skills, understand how to shape a good story on the digital platform and be comfortable with basic desk-top editing software.
- Serve as standard-bearer for editorial consistency and quality on all digital platforms
- Manage the flow of content to digital platforms, and not just to our website but to a wide array of digital platforms including social media, video platforms, our app, and newsletters.
- Collaborate with editors, show producers, and reporters to file content for digital platforms.
- Help design, plan and implement digital strategy for major editorial projects, such as elections, major investigations and other special content.
- Edit news, social and digital content for multiple platforms.
- Ensure that reporters and editors meet newsroom standards for filing stories for digital, including solid digital stories and strong headline, and visual and social assets.
- Operate as a respected and respectful teammate in a large and diverse newsroom, with the ability to set aside titles and egos for the benefit of the broader news mission.
- Work with reporters, editors, and show production personnel in a way that develops their skills so that they can independently produce digital and social content
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong editing and copyediting skills.
- Basic photo, video and audio editing skills.
- Ability to produce content for web and social platforms; video production, editing, and Photoshop skills a plus
- Photo editing and collaboration with photojournalists -- you’re able to quickly pick a photo from a wire service or work with reporters or staff photojournalists to find the best web and social visual treatment for a story.
- Ability to make judgments to move content to digital platforms quickly and in a way that maximizes the reach and impact of the work.
- 4-5 years in digital news production
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Full Time Staff Position
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.