Iowa PBS is seeking applications for the leadership position of Executive Director and General Manager.
For over fifty years, Iowa PBS has been a highly respected statewide public television network, providing quality, noncommercial programming that educates, enlightens, and entertains viewers statewide. A noncommercial, public-service mission enables Iowa PBS to deliver locally produced educational programs of lasting value. Iowa PBS provides this quality content free to audiences through a broadcast system of nine transmitters and eight translators and an online system of web, video app and social media platforms.
The Executive Director and General Manager is responsible for all network operations and reports to the nine-member Iowa Public Broadcasting Board. The Executive Director and General Manager oversees directly or indirectly approximately 100 staff and is involved in the overall strategic planning process of the organization. The operating budget is $17 million.
Candidates should possess successful management experience from institutions comparable to Iowa PBS, with the ability to motivate and lead an exceptionally creative staff. Of critical importance is the ability to relate effectively to multiple constituencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directs the programming and production activities of Iowa PBS in the broad public interest to include diverse viewpoints in a noncommercial, nonpartisan, and nonsectarian manner. Stays current with technological trends affecting the creation and distribution of content.
• Provides journalistic guidance for local productions consistent with Iowa laws and the PBS Principals of Editorial Integrity.
• Ensures that Iowa PBS facilities, equipment, operations, and staff training meets the most current technology and best practices of the public television and educational media industry.
• Represents Iowa PBS in meetings with local, state, and federal officials, governmental agencies, national and state organizations, and other public media organizations associated with public broadcasting.
• Acts as Iowa PBS’s primary liaison with elected officials to familiarize them with the impact and potential of public broadcast programming and technology.
• Oversees the execution of contracts, purchasing procedures, employee policies, and communication strategies within and outside of Iowa PBS, consistent with organizational and state regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Oversees the preparation and management of the Iowa PBS budget, compliance with purchasing and payroll policies, and preparation of required financial reports. Also serves on the Iowa PBS Foundation as a nonvoting member and works closely with the Foundation president.
• Maintains compliance with Iowa open meetings and open records requirements, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations, Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) rules and regulations, PBS editorial integrity practices, and ensures timely preparation and posting of all reports, public files, and meeting notices.
• Directs the selection, supervision, and evaluation of approximately 100 staff in the public television services operation.
• Oversees the strategic direction for the station, based on strategic plans and direction from the board of directors.
Applications must be submitted through the State of Iowa Careers website. All applicants must submit the following documents:
• State of Iowa application along with a cover letter.
• Complete resume detailing experience and credentials.
• A minimum of three professional references.
• A statement of philosophy, no longer than two pages, as it relates to the role of a statewide public television network in a rapidly changing media environment in the nation’s heartland.
All materials must be received by the closing date of the posting.
Reports to: Board President and Iowa Public Broadcasting Board
Direct Reports: Director of Engineering and Technology, Director of Programming and Production, Director of Communications, Director of Educational Services, Director of Administration and Finance, Director of Emerging Media, and an Executive Secretary.
This is a non-merit position with the Iowa PBS. Candidates must follow the instructions in the "To Apply" section. Positions in this class are exempt from the screening and referral requirements of the Iowa Department of Administrative Services - Human Resources Enterprise.
Applications must be submitted through the State of Iowa Careers website. All applicants must submit the following documents: • State of Iowa application along with a cover letter. • Complete resume detailing experience and credentials. • A minimum of three professional references. • A statement of philosophy, no longer than two pages, as it relates to the role of a statewide public television network in a rapidly changing media environment in the nation's heartland. All materials must be received by the closing date of the posting.