KAXE, founded in 1976 in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, as the first rural public radio station in the nation, is seeking a motivated individual to help expand its digital reach with the hiring of a new Marketing/Social Media Specialist.
We’re looking to strengthen connections within our communities by sharing our independently produced content and to promote our events, programs and new initiatives through various social mediums.
As an affiliate of National Public Radio, KAXE has built a loyal audience of listeners that have come to rely on the station for local and national news, original music programs, arts and culture, and information about weather, nature and their communities. The organization tells the stories of the people, places and events that make Northern Minnesota special.
Our audience has changed. There is more competition and choices of where people can get news, information and music. The old-adage of radio — “If you build it, they will come” — no longer works. We need to meet our audience on the platforms they are using.
The Marketing/Social Media Specialist will help foster in the next generation of listeners and members. Northern Community Radio is a nonprofit, community public broadcast organization, operating radio stations 91.7 FM KAXE Grand Rapids with a translator at 89.9 FM Brainerd, and 90.5 FM KBXE Bemidji as well as kaxe.org.
Under the supervision of the Development Director, this role will guide the social strategy for KAXE for each of its social platforms. Working with various team members throughout the organization, you’ll foster an understanding of social media strategy and digital best practices by analyzing metrics to better serve the audience, drive engagement and build trust.
You will have a collaborative and collective focus on meeting audiences where they are, activating their interests and nurturing their philanthropic desire to support the mission of public media. This role requires a strong social media knowledge including the latest trends and best practices.
This position will guide the social strategy for KAXE for each of its social platforms. Be eager to explore new ways to promote our brand and increase awareness in the communities we serve. We’re looking for someone who shares the same passion we have for our mission and who can conjure up creative new ways to tell our story.
- Generate, edit, publish, and share engaging, interesting and data-driven local content across all social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok) and other emerging channels
- Work with team members to develop campaigns and implement strategies across social media
- Manage posting calendar and proactively schedule posts throughout each week
- Monitor and report social metrics including engagement data, impressions, etc.
- Assist in developing and deploying e-newsletters to engage various audience segments
- Monitor social media standards and emerging trends
- Coordinate reader/member service and response on social platforms
- Establish and maintain community relationships through shared posts and engagement
- Cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive social media presence that supports the organization’s
values and strategic plan
- Assist in fundraising initiatives through social platforms
- Assist in developing strategies to increase overall brand awareness to various audience segments
- Familiarity with KAXE’s radio programs
- Enthusiasm for KAXE’s mission
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, images, and video)
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to create clarity, strategy and build excitement within a team.
- Collaboration in a cross-functional environment to develop and maintain key relationships
- Ability to analyze data, draw conclusions, and propose effective actions
- General knowledge/awareness of media ethics for sharing content on social media
- A strong team player and self-starter
- An outstanding communicator (written and verbal)
- Highly organized with time management and problem-solving skills
- Able to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
- Web development/design is a plus
- Maintain a commitment to diversity, racial equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
- Work to ensure the success of the organization
- Participate in other station activities, including but not limited to station events and fundraising activities which may require working occasional weekends or evenings, or otherwise adjusting work hours to accommodate the needs of the job
What we’ll provide
- Investment in your professional growth through coaching, training and professional development.
- A collaborative environment where risk, innovation and growth are fostered.
- A commitment to continue and build upon our diversity, equity and inclusion work in content, staffing, board representation, and community partnerships.
Compensation and benefits
Salary range is $42,000-$47,000 per year based on experience. In addition to salary, KAXE offers a compensation package that includes the following benefits:
- Group health insurance.
- Company paid life insurance.
- 5% company paid SEP.
- Company paid cellphone service.
- Mileage reimbursement for approved work-related travel.
- 11 paid company holidays.
- 4 weeks annual paid time off.
About Northern Community Radio
Northern Community Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Our policy is to ensure equal employment opportunities in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines.
Like all team members, the Marketing/Social Media Specialist will be expected to contribute to a work culture based upon respect, teamwork and collaboration.
Our programs and employment are open to all. We value diversity and do not permit any discrimination against applicants, employees, or volunteers based on race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other status protected by applicable law or statute in any of our policies or programs.
Northern Community Radio fosters a culture of inclusion with equity, honesty, diversity, visibility, creativity, and trust as core values.
Positions opened until filled.
Employment Portal: https://www.kaxe.org/marketing-social-media-specialist