KCUR 89.3, Kansas City’s NPR affiliate, is looking for an experienced editorial leader to oversee the work of our accomplished news, talk show, programming, and collaboration teams. The Director of Content-Journalism’s primary responsibility is to ensure KCUR and its affiliates serve regional and local audiences with content that serves their needs and wants, while upholding the highest standards of public service in journalism and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
The ideal candidate has an audience-centered mindset and is an experienced collaborator. They relish the work of management (projects and people), and have a keen editor’s eye, strategic sensibilities, and expertise in data, broadcast, and digital platforms. We are seeking someone with a belief in KCUR’s potential to provide an authentic take on news and life in Kansas City and the Midwest region – and a vision for how public media journalists can build trust with diverse communities in complicated times. It’s a big job, one that we hope will make a difference in Kansas City and for the future of journalism in our region.
Basically, the function and responsibility of this position is: Manage the editorial vision, strategy, and teams of KCUR and its collaborations, including the Midwest Newsroom, the Kansas News Service, and Harvest Public Media. This position reports to KCUR’s General Manager.
Characteristic Duties include:
- Work with leadership for news, talk shows, audience development and collaborations to create an integrated approach to content across departments that provides a clear, consistent editorial voice that guides decision-making and resource allocation.
- Ensure the highest journalistic standards for editorial projects, newscasts, feature reporting, talk shows and digital content produced by KCUR or contributed by others to the station’s air and digital platforms.
- Manage relationships with editorial partners, working to ensure a true collaborative give and take that values the needs and audiences of each.
- See https://www.kcur.org/ for the complete job description and information about KCUR and Kansas City.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 5 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Cultural competency and eagerness to build diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging into every facet of the organization.
- Seven to ten years of work experience in an editorial leadership capacity in a media organization.
- Strong leadership philosophy and ability to lead a team with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with experience. This is a full time, benefit eligible position.
How to Apply: Position will remain open until filled, with application review starting April 11, 2021. KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Please apply online at UMKC’s website: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/ Select “Staff Positions,” then “View Jobs,” then “View All Jobs.”