Events are a critical component of Kansas City Public Media’s effort to cultivate and bring diverse audiences together and encourage face-to-face discussion and dialogue.
Kansas City Public Media (KCUR & Classical KC) is seeking a full time Manager of Live Events to work with staff and external partners to develop, plan and manage live experiences; produce in-person events aligned with KCUR’s newsroom, Classical KC, community engagement, development and collaborations; and create much-needed “spaces” for civic engagement throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area.
This person will have an enthusiastic and collaborative approach to producing events. Must have the ability to multi-task and work on diverse projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; remain calm during the demands of events; a demonstrated ability to take direction and work collaboratively with various departments and personalities; and enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially-independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Classical KC 91.9 champions music as a vital community resource by sharing programming that reflects and illuminates our broader world.
- Initiate, market, manage and execute the production of live events that are consistent with KCUR and Classical KC’s mission, with specific focus on content initiatives, collaborations, and community engagement activities.
- Work with reporters, editors, talk show hosts and producers to translate KCUR content into compelling live experiences. Develop strategies to connect to new audiences through new KCUR events.
- Maintain calendar, coordinate and support all events across the organization, including KCUR’s newsroom, talk shows, music programs, and Classical KC’s programming, and also development and community engagement.
- Develop and implement marketing plans for all events, including RadioActive, major donor and membership events.
- Support implementation of other KCUR and Classical KC marketing initiatives.
- Manage Generation Listen KC, KCUR’s young friends group.
- Work with hosts, reporters and producers to create audio and text promos for events.
- Work with the Director of Community Engagement to cultivate relationships withindividual, community, and organizational partners through live events.
- Work with KCUR and Classical KC’s development department to manage donor events.
- Coordinate volunteer participation in membership drives and cultivation events.
- Contribute event-related content to the websites and social media platforms for both stations, including audio, text, extended interviews, photos, etc.
- Recruit potential sources and guests through KCUR and Classical KC events.
- Participate in all assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.
- May oversee the work of interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Director of Programming and Community Engagement.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Two to three years’ experience in large-scale events, preferably within public media.
- Successfulcandidates will have previous experience with volunteer management, as well as proven management of large-scale events.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to take imitative and work with minimal supervision and to lead in a team setting.
- Experience with virtual event platforms such as Zoom.
Salary range starts at $47,476, and is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially independent community service of the University of Missouri - Kansas City. Please apply online at UMKC's website: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/careers/ Select "Staff Position," then "View Jobs," then "View All Jobs." Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.