KERA is hiring an Executive Editor to lead KERA’s growing audience-centered news team and oversee news content across digital and broadcast channels. As the executive leader for KERA News, the person in this role must be a strategic thinker with a track record of meeting diverse audience and community needs. They should be a great collaborator, both inside and outside of the building, while holding themselves and the team to the highest journalistic and ethical standards.
The station serves the country’s fifth-largest media market, reaching more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT and Art&Seek. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
KERA is looking for an executive editor who is willing and able to grow KERA News into a trusted, primary source for relevant and rigorous reporting across all platforms. The Executive Editor will oversee news on all platforms – digital, radio and television. They will supervise and coach the newsroom leadership team and manage KERA’s participation in collaborations with multiple regional and content partners, including The Texas Newsroom.
The ideal candidate is an experienced journalist with a strong leadership background and expertise in local news and digital operations. They should be familiar with audience-centered thinking and design. This person will work closely with Chief Content Officer and other station leadership to ensure coverage meets the organization’s strategic goals to grow, diversify and engage audiences.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Use audience-centered thinking to set overall direction of news coverage and products, from hard news to arts & culture.
- Ensure the highest level of editorial standards of accuracy, ethics, balance and diversity are met by KERA staff and contributors
- Lead efforts to diversify voices, perspectives and experiences in coverage online and on the air
- Work with HR and newsroom managers to recruit, develop and retain a diverse team of journalists
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive culture where ideas are encouraged at all levels by modelling and training others in inclusive leadership practices
- Manage relationships with editorial partners at the local, statewide and national level in a manner that serves both our individual and shared audiences
- Work collaboratively with departments and teams across KERA to meet organizational strategies and goals
- Participate in meetings of the KERA news team, department heads and statewide and national partners, as well as on-air fundraising campaigns
- Plan and supervise budgeting for the multiple departments and projects within KERA News
- Represent KERA in the community and at professional events
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Proven leader who creates a culture of innovation, accountability, professional growth, collaboration and inclusion
- Significant experience in an editorial leadership capacity
- Strong leadership philosophy and proven ability to lead a team with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Experience in project management and collaborative leadership within and between organizations, including those with differing goals and missions
- Digitally savvy with experience engaging news audiences on a range of platforms
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines in a fast-paced live environment, be open to new ideas, and adjust plans to meet changing needs
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace
- Passionate and enthusiastic about public radio journalism and serving a diverse North Texas audience – both on the air and online
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field
- Experience with public radio production and journalism
- Knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues and geography as well as national and international issues and events
- Fluency in Spanish
$135,000 - $165,000, depending on experience
KERA is partially operating remotely due to the pandemic. When we fully return to the office, we will continue to provide flexibility for our staff to work remotely if they so choose. We expect that this position will work out of our office at least 50% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume and cover letter.
KERA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.