The Department Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting the Marketing and Communications department across KERA and KXT’s promotional platforms, including but not limited to social media, websites, email and print newsletters. The Department Assistant reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and provides administrative support for the COO, along with members of the MarCom team, which serves as the internal creative agency for the organization. S/he will collaborate closely with the COO, Marketing Director and Communications Director to ensure that departmental processes and procedures are streamlined to execute the organization’s strategic vision.
Good judgment is essential to planning, prioritizing and organizing a diversified workload, and discretion and tact regarding confidential matters is absolutely required.The ideal candidate is passionate about public media, highly organized and possesses an exceptional command of all things social.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
COO Administrative Responsibilities
- Assists Chief Operating Officer with scheduling and organizing activities, such as meetings, travel, conferences and department activities.
- Assists in the preparation of materials and logistics for meetings, particularly Board of Directors and various Board Committees. Coordinates with Executive Office on meeting logistics and materials.
- Prepares materials as assigned, including but not limited to correspondence, formatting, data entry, working on spreadsheets and developing PowerPoint presentations.
- Responsible for daily coordination of cross-departmental Project Management process for COO to ensure the achievement of deadlines.
- Undertake daily administrative tasks to ensure the smooth functionality and coordination of department activities.
- Update spreadsheets, databases and inventories with statistical, financial and non-financial information.
- Drafts organizational communications, including e-newsletters, press releases, etc. to drive brand awareness and program tune-in.
- Assists in the production of weekly e-communications and management of suite of social media accounts, including monitoring audience engagement and, as appropriate, responding to audience questions and comments. Tracks, tests and measures analytics for weekly social media insights reports and strategy.
- Creates and maintains supporting resources for management of social media, including but not limited to social media calendars, social media best practices document, social media strategy and photo-use best practices.
- Assists in the creation and delivery of marketing content for digital and print platforms. Collaborates on the production of creative assets and promotional materials by providing art direction, writing copy, reviewing for brand consistency, etc.
- Assists in the coordination and execution of select special events led by the department.
- May be called upon to work some evening and/or weekend hours.
- Performs related duties as assigned by management.
- Maintains compliance with all company policies and procedures
- The successful candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, PR or journalism with 1-3 years of work experience in marketing, communications and/or PR.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail are essential. Outstanding time management skills and ability to complete tasks on deadline are crucial.
- Proven advanced skills in writing, copy editing and proofreading. Impeccable use of grammar, spelling and punctuation is a must. Knowledge of AP style is preferred.
- Strong command of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube platforms is required. Knowledge of each platform’s analytics tools is preferred.
- Awareness of social media trends and keen interest in experimenting with new social media strategies.
- Innovative, creative and accountable problem solver and a self-starter. Able to exercise mature judgment, especially in communicating with audiences on social media and other platforms.
- Demonstrates high integrity and poise
- Must have a strong command of the following software: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other Office applications.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that may involve work outside the office and/or operating the company vehicle.
- Experience in broadcast media or nonprofit environment.
- Graphic design skills and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud or similar graphic design software.
- Working knowledge of WordPress or other content management systems.
- Working knowledge of Wordfly or email marketing platforms.
- Working knowledge of Tessitura or other customer relationship management (CRM) systems
The individual must have the ability to safely and successfully perform the essential functions of the job and to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time at a desk and computer; stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools or controls and to type on a keyboard; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; use office equipment and machinery effectively. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Position operates in a temperature controlled office environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201
KERA offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package based upon professional experience and achievement.
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer