KERA, the public broadcasting organization for Dallas/Fort Worth, is looking for an exceptional talent recruitment and retention specialist to help grow and diversify our team. This person will work with our leadership team to attract and retain top talent through inclusive hiring processes across all levels of our organization.
Serving the country’s fifth-largest media market, KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, KXT and Art&Seek. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for trusted educational programming and initiatives, community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
KERA is seeking a Director of Talent Recruitment and Retention to help grow, develop and diversify our team. Reporting to the Senior Team, this position will be an advocate for staff from the recruitment process throughout their time at KERA. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but will serve as a coach and mentor for staff throughout the organization.
The Director will design and implement recruiting strategies for current and future openings, and will work with managers to improve hiring processes. They will develop and maintain effective programs for talent development, retention, promotion and succession planning.
The Director will be KERA’s primary in-house HR specialist, and will work closely with our external HR team on all HR-related issues. This role will help KERA meet our goal of better reflecting the communities we serve in our staffing.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Lead recruitment efforts for all staff, interns and contractors. Manage full life cycle of recruitment, including posting, sourcing, prescreening, scheduling, background and reference checks, offers, onboarding, etc.
- Partner with leadership team to forecast hiring needs based on business growth plans
- Build talent pipelines for current and future job openings, and develop a network of potential future hires
- Create and implement talent acquisition strategies for leadership, mid-career and early-career hiring
- Design and implement training program for hiring managers on inclusive recruiting, interviewing and hiring practices that result in well-qualified and diverse applicant pools
- Oversee all stages of candidate experience including application, interviews and communication
- Oversee onboarding process for all new hires
- Manage contracts for all freelancers and contract employees
- Manage external partnerships with colleges, professional associations, job boards and HR software vendors
- Develop and maintain effective programs and policies for employee retention, promotion and engagement
- Conduct skill gap analyses and develop individual and departmental training programs (both in-house and external) at all levels, aligned with strategic organizational priorities
- Coach employees, discuss career-path options and act as their consultant regarding learning and development activities
- Work with external HR team on the maintenance and execution of performance management systems, including current job descriptions, standards of performance and performance evaluation instruments.
- Evaluate cross-training and internal talent to develop succession plans for all departments
- Support a culture of belonging that fosters and encourages the professional ambitions of all KERA staff
- Serve as primary liaison to external HR team
- Uphold and advance KERA’s commitment to equal employment opportunity, diversity, equity and inclusion
- Maintain compliance with federal law, CPB and FCC regulations, and all company policies and procedures
- Perform additional duties as assigned by management
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or related field
- Five years’ experience in a recruitment, talent development or similar role
- Experience managing full-cycle recruiting or delivering employee training programs
- Hands-on experience with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) and HR databases
- Thorough understanding of recruiting methods and best practices, as well as applicable policies and federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- An empathetic leader with strong interpersonal skills
- An excellent communicator with the ability to develop long-term relationships with internal teams, external partners and candidates
- The ability to quickly build trust and maintain confidentiality
- A problem-solver with strong negotiation skills
- Current SHRM certification or ability to obtain certification within one year
- Fluent in Spanish and/or other languages common in Texas
- Employee relations experience and/or the ability to navigate and resolve complex situations
- Passion for and experience with public broadcasting
- Experience in a journalism or media organization
- Knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography
KERA is partially operating remotely due to the pandemic. When we fully return to the office in September, we will continue to provide flexibility for our staff to work remotely if they so choose. We expect that this position will work out of our office at least 50% of the time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page Job Openings | KERA
Create a Profile | Attach a resume and cover letter
KERA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.