KERA, the public broadcasting organization for Dallas/Fort Worth, is looking for an events and engagement expert to join our audience development team. Serving the country’s fifth-largest media market, KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA News, Triple-A music station KXT 91.7 FM, and the websites kera.org, kxt.org, keranews.org and artandseek.org. For more than 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
As we seek to recognize and reflect the increasing diversity among our audiences, we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives to consider employment opportunities at KERA.
KERA is seeking an Events Director to join our team and create memorable experiences for our audiences. Reporting to the Director of Audience Development, this position will strategize and execute in-person and virtual events that engage audiences and generate revenue. The Events Director will work across the organization to identify opportunities to leverage content and marketing initiatives to create events that make KERA/KXT more visible, relevant and valuable to North Texans. This position will have primary responsibility for all fundraising and major donor events, and will integrate fundraising and sponsorship strategies into events in order to create new sources of revenue for the organization. This role will be responsible for all aspects of the event experience – from assigning roles and deliverables during the preparation phase to ensuring our on-site presence reflects the quality and professionalism audiences expect.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Create annual events strategy that outlines strategic opportunities for in-person and virtual engagement with audiences
- Work directly with major gifts, membership and corporate sponsorship teams on fundraising events
- Develops funding strategy to turn events into revenue opportunities through membership, major donor support and corporate sponsorship
- Manages vendor relationships, negotiating contracts and pricing
- Oversees project management for events
- Serves as first point of contact for venues and partners throughout planning and execution of events
- Develops and maintains lists of event deliverables and creative assets
- Oversees on-site presence and logistics for in-person and virtual events
- Provides proof-of-performance documentation to funders, including donors and sponsors
- Works closely with content team to identify opportunities to enhance audience engagement with each of KERA and KXT’s platforms
- Works closely with the audience development team on strategy and coordination of key initiatives and audience engagement
- Upholds and advances KERA’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in all facets of KERA and KXT promotions
- Performs additional duties as assigned by management
- Maintains compliance with all company policies and procedures
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
A successful candidate should have at least 5 years of work experience in a professional setting, including a leadership role in generating revenue through events. Proven advanced skills in event production, vendor management, project management and in-person marketing are essential. Experience in communicating with donors also is key, as is the ability to complete multiple tasks on deadline.
Work experience in a media, nonprofit, marketing or public relations environment is a plus. This position works frequently with other teams across the organization and must be both a team player and a self-starter. The individual must also be innovative, creative and an accountable problem solver.
Must have a strong command of the following software: Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other Office applications. A valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that may involve work outside the office and/or operating the company vehicle. This role will require work on nights and weekends.
Passion for and experience with public broadcasting is a plus, but not required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page Job Openings | KERA
Create a Profile | Attach a resume and cover letter.
KERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.