The Senior Editor will supervise, lead and edit KERA’s award-winning projects-reporting team. Those reporters combine daily and weekly coverage with deep-dive projects in the newsroom’s key focus areas, including education, mental health, gun culture and life on the financial edge. They produce content on all KERA platforms: audio, video, digital and social media.
The ideal candidate is a skilled story teller and audio editor with strong attention to detail. This position requires solid project-management skills with the ability to lead and build consensus in a fast paced environment. We’re looking for a collaborative leader – someone who can oversee work on multiple media platforms and work with people across the newsroom, across multiple departments at KERA, with partner stations in Texas and with national networks and programs.
Creative storytelling ability is a must, as is a dedication to presenting a diverse array of voices – in gender, ethnicity, geography and philosophy, among others.
This candidate is an excellent communicator with a passion for public radio and podcasting, equally comfortable in breaking news situations and long-term reporting projects. This person must always remain firmly rooted in the ethics and standards of public media.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Supervise reporters covering education, mental health, gun culture, life on the financial edge and other topics as assigned.
- Edit radio stories including spots, features and long-form audio.
- Conceive, produce and edit a range of digital content from video to social media.
- Lead project-management process for newsroom projects.
- Work collaboratively with departments across KERA, from marketing to major gifts, from digital development to audio production.
- Research, write and edit broadcast-ready scripts.
- Produce and cover breaking news as assigned.
- Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, ethics, balance and diversity.
- Work to diversify voices in coverage online and on the air.
- Forge and maintain relationships with local, statewide and national media partners.
- Participate in meetings of the KERA news team and statewide partners, as well as on-air fundraising campaigns.
- Represent KERA at professional and public events as assigned.
- Participate in other newsroom duties as assigned.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- At least 5 years of experience in journalism as a reporter, producer and/or editor.
- Proven record of project management.
- Passion for news, with wide-ranging interests and a proven ability to generate topics/ideas.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced live broadcasting environment.
- Proficiency in digital audio editing/mixing.
- Familiarity with and dexterity in digital journalism platforms.
- Knowledge of Associated Press and NPR style and ethics guidelines.
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free copy quickly in breaking-news situations.
- Demonstrated skills as excellent communicator and strategic thinker.
- Passion for public radio journalism, serving a diverse audience and showcasing a wide range of viewpoints about gender, ethnicity, geography and philosophy, among others.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media or related field or equivalent required.
- Experience with public radio production and journalism, and podcasting.
- Deep knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues and geography as well as national and international issues and events.
- Significant experience on a variety of digital platforms.
- Fluency in another language/s.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishment and qualifications for the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: 214-740-9323
- Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.