Morning Edition Host/General Assignment News Reporter
Job ID: 606257
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
• Serves as KNAU's local, live host/anchor during NPR's flagship program, Morning Edition.
• Operates master control room equipment including audio console.
• Writes news copy. Prepares and voices newscasts.
• Exercises professional news judgment in selecting news and information content. Prepares and reviews program materials prior to broadcast.
• Uses a variety of sources including Associated Press copy; public service, underwriting, and weather announcements; pre-recorded rundowns and other material for inclusion in Morning Edition.
• Writes/posts web and social media copy during on-air shift and during breaking news.
• General assignment reporter. Produces and reports news features and interviews in a highly produced, edited, well-written style.
• Fills in on other KNAU air shifts as assigned.
• Participates in KNAU on-air fundraising and promotional efforts.
• Represents the station at community functions and events
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communication or related field and two years experience as a radio host and news reporter.
• Experience with Adobe Audition or other digital audio editing software.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge about northern Arizona and the region is desirable.
• Knowledge of public radio, public affairs reporting, and broadcast news standards
• Strong on-air presence compatible with the NPR sound.
• Proven track record of reporting or hosting in a journalistic setting.
• Demonstrated ability to report, write and produce network-quality interviews and features.
• Demonstrated problem solving ability and solid news judgment.
• Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Familiarity with audio storytelling, audio editing and automation software, the public media system and community engagement
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/faqs-for-employee-vaccination-requirement-2/.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the https://in.nau.edu/police-department/annual-security-and-fire-safety-reports/ is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $41,421. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees arehttps://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/ on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Required/ includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
May 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3019123
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.