Jazz24 is the 24/7 streaming jazz station produced and presented by KNKX. The Music Director plays a critical role in music curation for the world-class station, with listeners in 51 countries around the world. You are responsible for identifying new music for airplay, shaping the tone, pace, and sound of the station, and for scheduling music logs and sharing your love of the music through daily on-air shifts.
You are a music junkie and a fan of many styles of jazz and blues. You appreciate the history of the genre and its many colors. You know the classics -- the giants of jazz -- and are excited about the players who are adding new textures and flavors to the gumbo.
KNKX is public media for the Puget Sound area, dedicated to bringing jazz, blues, regional news, and NPR programs to the Northwest and beyond. As a newly independent station, KNKX employees are energized in their mission to provide the very best service to over 400,000 listeners on-air and online, to engage closely with community members and the public media industry to constantly improve and innovate, and to present music and stories that educate, inspire, and expand horizons. Employees at KNKX are empowered to be creative and think critically about current processes, creating an office culture that welcomes experimentation, teamwork, and open dialogue. KNKX also offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
We welcome people of all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, sexual orientation, genders and abilities to apply.
This is a fulltime union position, the successful applicant is required to join SAG-AFTRA.
This position is based in Tacoma, Washington.
***When you apply, please submit an aircheck of your on-air music announcing.***
***Email MP3s to Carol Handley, Director of Music Content: firstname.lastname@example.org***
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedule daily program logs on Selector.
- Host daily on-air program
- Preview new music for on-air library.
- Maintain digital music library.
- Active in Jazz24 fund drives, including pitching on-air.
- Assist in the creation of content for the Jazz24 website.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sophisticated knowledge of music scheduling software and radio automation playout programs – (i.e.-Selector/Music Master and Audiovault/Enco etc).
- You love sharing stories about the music and artists who make it.
- Working knowledge of jazz and blues.
- Must have good radio announcing ability, including clarity of expression, confidence and a pleasant voice.
- Radio operation skills, including the ability to operate an audio console, Must also have a basic knowledge of FCC regulations.
- Ability to work in a creative team environment, to communicate effectively with supervisor and colleagues.
- Must be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines, accept criticism and work with limited resources.
- Understands and supports the KNKX Mission Statement and the KNKX Principles and Values Statement.
Please submit an aircheck of your on-air announcing with your application. You can apply here.