PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ONLY AT https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/10939/kpbs-midday-edition-producer/job
Licensed to San Diego State University, KPBS Radio, Television & Online serves San Diego County with news, information, entertainment and cultural content. The organization presents local and national content that is valued and trusted by the community. KPBS also produces and distributes content about San Diego that is valued by local, regional, national and international audiences and is worthy of support.
The News Producer will produce daily news and information segments for Midday Edition on radio and KPBS.org with the goal of finding unique angles on top stories or creative sidebars. The show aims to localize national stories, breaks news and uncovers issues worthy of national attention.
The News Producer will work at the direction of the Director of News & Editorial Strategy (DNES), and under the supervision of the Senior Producer, and with members of the news team, including the Executive Producer, news editors, hosts, producers, videographers, video editors, reporters, and production assistants and interns.
The News Producer is expected to participate in station on-air fundraising activities, and make appearances for KPBS community building events and other public relations activities.
This position is part of the SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement with KPBS.
- Coordinating and creating content for Midday Edition on radio, and KPBS.org.
- Produce at least 2 segments per day that include story pitches, booking, research, short pre-interviews, writing headlines, introductions and questions, honing the segment with the host and audio editing.
- Line produce in studio during the show.
- Track and update information in ENPS and the news whiteboard.
- Post web briefs with links to KPBS.org.
- On occasion, gather audio/video in the field and edit audio/video on Audition or Premiere.
- May be asked to work on content that falls outside of the regular Midday program, including assisting with a story for Evening Edition or special programs like election shows and debates.
- Reads and follows major developments on general stories.
- Maintains contact lists and a diversity of voices for on-going continuity of coverage and accumulation of knowledge.
- Brainstorms story ideas with senior producer, editors, host, reporters and producers.
Other duties: attends station and department meetings, represents the station at public events, and is responsible for appropriate record keeping, correspondence, phone calls, supplies and equipment. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in journalism.
- Minimum two years professional experience as a news journalist, preferable in TV and/or radio.
- A minimum of one year's experience in research, preferably in a broadcast or print news/interview setting.
- Master’s degree
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Knowledge of current San Diego regional issues.
- Experience in online production, including writing, editing, graphic design, HTML, photography and audio and video production.
- Journalistic Experience in public radio or television.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation.
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer.
Share on your newsfeed