KPFA is seeking a producer for UpFront, a morning public affairs show that broadcasts to northern and central California from 7-9 am on weekdays. This producer will have primary responsibility for setting up most days’ shows, with help from the show’s co-hosts and interns. The program is currently produced remotely, but we expect to transition to a mix of remote and in-studio work later in 2021.
- Identify topics for interview segments and potential interviewees, with an emphasis on new voices and perspectives
- Participate in daily editorial meetings
- Pre-interview, book, and confirm technical details for program guests
- Compose run sheets for each day’s program
- Post show descriptions in WordPress CMS and social media accounts
- Research and prepare for interviews, including preparing scripts/intros, questions, and transitions
- Engineer pre-recorded interviews
- Edit recorded interviews for length and clarity
- Line-produce live shows: screen callers, monitor chat with hosts and engineer; trouble-shoot when there are problems reaching guests.
- Train and supervise interns
- Find and secure fund-drive premiums (under the supervision of KPFA’s Program Director).
- Occasional field recording and/or reporting
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- News Judgment: familiarity with current events, ability to identify topics worth covering and how best to approach them. We are particularly interested in candidates who will expand our breadth of coverage by bringing their own background knowledge and community contacts to editorial discussions.
- Research: ability to quickly assemble background information on interview topics and fact check.
- Preparation: ability to write clean segment introductions, prepare interview questions, anticipate responses, and prepare follow-ups.
- Editing: ability to edit recorded interviews quickly and seamlessly to hit target lengths. Basic multi-track mixing (i.e., creating music beds for carts and billboards)
- Social Media: experience using social platforms to increase reach and audience engagement.
- Grace under pressure: this mostly-live program is produced under tight deadline pressure. Periodically, things fall apart. That’s OK. It’s not OK to lose your cool or become a jerk when they do.
- Teaching / mentoring: KPFA is committed to the ongoing training and development of its staff and volunteers. As you get more skills and experience from working here, you’ll be expected to help others learn, too.
This 40 hour/week position is unionized with the Communications Workers of America Local 9415. Current wage is $23.64/hour with annual seniority increases. Generous benefits commence after a 90-day probation period, including no-premium full-family medical and dental, 4% 403(b) employer match, seniority-based vacation pay up to five weeks per year, paid parental leave and childcare allowance.
HOURS and SCHEDULE:
- 40 hours per week.
- Work hours are somewhat flexible, but start as early as 6:45am most weekdays.
- July 5, 2021
- No calls or walk-ins, please.
- Send resume, cover letter, and any clips/demos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Relocation reimbursement is not available.
KPFA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER