KSPS has an opening for a Part Time (approximately 30 hrs/wk) Weekend Fill-In Master Control Operator/Traffic Specialist. Hours may vary to provide coverage to support business needs during holidays, sick and vacation leave.
Regular shifts will be Saturday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Sunday 11:00 am - 11:00 pm, and Monday 4:00 pm - 12:00 am. Additional hours will vary depending on fill-in shift needs.
Position is benefit eligible after waiting periods are met. $18-20 per hour, depending on experience. Looking for a trainable candidate who is comfortable with technology.
This position is responsible for the part time broadcast operation duties including, recording, ingesting and dubbing of all on-air program and promotional content for four on air program streams and five cable channels originating from the KSPS Operation Center. Positions in this class operate and monitor television master control related equipment including, computer automation, asset management and traffic systems, television broadcast transmitter, video/audio switchers, videotape machines, EAS equipment and satellite receive equipment. While performing their regular broadcast operator duties positions in this class, under the direction of the Traffic/Asset Manager, may be required to create a Daily ProTrack Program Log for the KSPS Create Channel as well as other Traffic related duties in a backup role as required. The part time MCO/Traffic Specialist position is considered a fill-in position and thus, positions in this class will be expected to work fill-in shifts whenever required. Work must conform to Federal Communications Commission Rules and Regulations.
- Operate various types of equipment common to Master Control Operation including BroadStream Oasys Automation & Playout Server, MassTech Asset Management and Apantac Monitor Wall computer systems, Burke Transmitter Remote Control, XDCAM, DVCPRO ¼” and Beta ½” VTR machines, LTO Tape Archive and Premier Pro Mac Editor.
- Reviews and monitor and if necessary, adjust all on-air operation play and record lists associated with station’s BroadStream Automation System.
- Monitor all network non-real time (sIX) file downloads and real time program feeds and then using BroadStream Automation preps all network programming for on-air use.
- Perform all program dubbing and FTP file transfers as requested by Traffic or Programming.
- Responsible for the operation of the BroadStream Maker Server for the purposes of recording all required on-air programming into the station’s BroadStream play out video server for multiple programming services including; KSPS, KSPS World, KSPS Create, KSPS Kids and Ch-17 (District 81).
- Operate and monitor the station’s Satellite Downlink System including the operation of a fixed and steerable satellite dish as well as monitor Dish and Direct TV satellite feeds.
- Maintains the stations program and transmitter logs as well as operates and monitors the SAGE Emergency Alert System equipment and performs EAS announcements or tests on air according to Station Policy and FCC rules and regulations.
- Monitors all program streams during station breaks to verify in writing on the posted program logs that all program streams are feeding the content scheduled, that video and audio levels for said content are at proper levels and that Closed Captions and DVI Audio are present as scheduled.
- Use the Myers/Protrack Traffic system for purposes of verifying metadata for all recordings as well as for scheduling non-real time (sIX) file downloads or real time program feeds when needed.
- Monitor Advisories/Refeeds on MyPBS for announcements of programs that were impaired or being re-fed by the network.
- When required use the Myers/ProTrack Traffic Software and the BroadStream Oasys Automation System to build and generate the program and automation playlists for KSPS-Create. Building program logs includes properly scheduling interstitial materials (this includes program promos, development promos, promos for station events, daily billboards & station ID’s) to fill all breaks on the various logs. It also includes scheduling the insertion or removal of various station bugs, pledge phone number and other automated system commands within the various logs as well.
- When required exports program logs to the BroadStream Automation System creating automated playlists for specified broadcast streams delivered via KSPS-TV. Then using Oasys Designer checks, confirms and updates program data and durations of program content within multiple streams of broadcast.
- When required write coherent, concise, detailed Discrepancy, Equipment Malfunction, FCC Closed Caption Compliance and EAS Evaluation Reports, which for FCC purposes provide written proof of what happened on air and are critical for troubleshooting.
- Is familiar with all Station Operational and Workflow Procedures as detailed in the station SOP and Workflow Manuals.
- Eligible for Turn-Around pay when you do not have a full ten hours between shifts. Turn-Around will be paid one half times normal hourly rate for hours worked that break into time off. Overtime hours or shift trading pre-empts this provision.
- Eligible for a 30 cent per hour shift differential for all hours worked between 11pm and 7am.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have:
- Advanced Broadcast Communications studies preferred but not required.
- Previous experience in a television operating environment handling daily operations and schedules and logging for a television station.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must:
- Have basic computer skills experience: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Have knowledge of Final Cut Pro, Pro-Track, Louth Automation System and Harris Automation.
- Have knowledge with television equipment from cameras, graphic machines, video players, and switchers.
Physical Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to:
- Regularly sit, stand, walk,
- Frequently lift, pull/push, carry, grasp, reach,
- Occasionally climb, stoop/crouch, crawl, taste, or smell.
- Clearly see 20+ feet, with or without corrective lenses and differentiate between colors (no color blindness)
This position has been filled