KTOO is looking for a curious and talented journalist to work as a general assignment reporter and afternoon news host for our newsroom in Juneau, Alaska. Your job will be to make sure our flagship local newscasts are timely and accurate and that we sound professional -- seamlessly transitioning between national and local content.
As a reporter, you should be able to keep up with daily regional news stories on deadline while working away on longer, enterprise reporting. You’ll be expected to serve a local listening audience with news of local and regional importance and to also file relevant stories with the statewide public radio network.
Even though the position is for a general assignment, you will help create a “mini-beat” or focus area for your reporting that fits within the mission and goals of the newsroom with help from the Managing Editor.
This position reports to the Managing Editor and works closely with the Daily News Editor and other reporters to identify and develop story ideas.
- Produce news stories for radio and web
- Package and deliver daily newscasts during All Things Considered, then post to the web and NPR One
- Record and edit audio for daily broadcast, especially using field recording equipment, but also using studio and telephone recording equipment
- Write engaging news stories for KTOO.org -- including thoughtful headlines and social media share lines
- Seek out diverse sources for news stories, striving to put voices and perspectives on the air that our audience has never heard from or would not hear from otherwise
- Collaborate with the news team on special reporting series and podcasts
- Serve as a back-up host for KTOO’s Morning Edition
Successful candidates will possess the following skills and competencies:
- At least 2 years of experience working in a newsroom, producing content on deadline
- Familiarity and comfort with using broadcast equipment and live delivery of news
- Confidence in your own voice and in being yourself on the radio
- Excellent writing skills, proven news judgment, and journalistic integrity
- Experience reporting on traditionally underrepresented communities
- Enthusiasm for local news
- Demonstrated strategic thinking about news priorities and pulling together a newscast
- Ability to operate a board and stay calm under pressure when technology fails, plus a willingness to learn new equipment and operations
KTOO has a mid-sized newsroom in a small market, which means we have robust reporting power and a strong presence and reputation in the community. You will be joining a team that includes 2 news editors, a digital media editor, 3 statewide reporters and 3 local reporters. With you, there will be 10 journalists in the newsroom. You’ll also join a fun Slack group with 40-something reporters, editors and producers at public media stations around Alaska.
Our editorial focus is a mix of stories of local and statewide importance. Our statewide reporters focus on state government (Juneau is the capital of Alaska), healthcare, energy & natural resource policy, Alaska’s economy, science and climate change. Our local reporters focus on city governance, housing & homelessness issues, tourism & other local economic drivers, criminal justice & re-entry/recidivism, early childhood education & schools, and Alaska Native culture and governance.
The Managing Editor supports and encourages reporters to pitch to and work with national outlets to promote a full and realistic portrayal of Alaska life.
KTOO supports station-wide efforts to increase diversity and inclusion. The newsroom is committed to consciously seeking out voices, perspectives and stories not found in other outlets or in the media at all. We keep track of the gender and race and/or ethnicity of all our sources and strive to source our stories with diversity and inclusivity in mind. Our community is almost 20% Alaska Native and 10% Asian and we are trying to ensure that those voices are represented in our coverage.
Apply online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/. We will only consider applications submitted through this link.