ABOUT THE JOB
Seattle Now, KUOW’s daily news podcast, is looking for a Supervising Producer. This is a unique opportunity to lead a talented team of journalists, and help grow this successful, relevant news show. We are looking for a collaborative leader and experienced news producer, who thrives in a daily news environment. You have a deep curiosity about local news, and you’re always hungry for original stories, unique angles, and perspectives from underrepresented voices. You’re a team builder, who listens closely, offers direct feedback, and has a track record of mentoring other journalists. Sound like you? If so, we would love to meet you.
Manage day-to-day production of KUOW’s daily news podcast, Seattle Now.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the team’s daily editorial work to deliver five episodes a week, Monday through Friday.
- Edit and help write scripts.
- Provide final listen and sign-off on every episode.
- Support team throughout the production chain, from pitching ideas to publishing shows.
- Manage and approve staffing calendar and time off requests.
- Support producers’ professional growth and development.
- Seek out new voices and develop local guests for the show.
- Lead in breaking news situations that may require evening and weekend work.
- Supervise interactions with audience on social media.
- Lead show communication with the KUOW newsroom and broadcast shows.
- Represent Seattle Now to other internal KUOW departments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree and three years of professional broadcast or podcast journalism experience of increasing responsibility.
- Background in talk programming, podcast and/or radio production.
- Knowledge of professional broadcast and journalistic standards and practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to write and produce content on deadline.
- Knowledge of news landscape in the Seattle metro area.
- Demonstrated news judgment and news leadership experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to professionally represent the station.
- Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio programming.
Position reports to the Director of New Content and Innovation.
Supervises two producers.
$6,115 - $7,338/month ($73,380 - $88,056 annually) based on experience
KUOW Puget Sound Public Radio is Seattle’s NPR news station. We are an independent, nonprofit news organization that produces award-winning journalism, innovative podcasts, engaging community events and more.
Our work is about truth. We were founded with the idea that everyone should have free access to honest, fact-checked information – as well as stories that broaden conversations and deepen understanding of the world around us. We work every day in service of our mission to create and serve a more informed public, because we believe an informed public is essential to a thriving community, a vibrant democracy, and a better future.
We are one of the nation's founding NPR member stations, broadcasting from the Puget Sound region continually since 1952. KUOW acknowledges that we occupy the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands of the Coast Salish people.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND RACIAL EQUITY
KUOW and the University of Washington are equal opportunity employers. KUOW is dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
Open until filled
APPLICATION LINK: https://kuow.org/careers/supervising-producer-Seattle-Now