KUOW invites you to create and lead a new division as Senior Director of Digital Product. You are an expert in leveraging digital technology for the public good. The work will be fast-paced and varied, starting with you building a team of product champions for content, philanthropy, sponsorship sales and marketing. You will be customer-centric, translating priorities into deliverables from external vendors and building customized solutions. Join us to inspire and lead a digital strategy that will advance KUOW’s mission. Open until filled. AA/EOE. Do not apply to KUOW directly.
KUOW, licensed to the University of Washington, is the Puget Sound Region’s NPR-affiliated public radio service delivering local, regional, national and international news, information and cultural programming. With an audience of over one million users each month, KUOW’s mission is to create and serve a more informed public. Our vision is to broaden conversations and deepen understanding. KUOW strives to be the finest possible provider of news—both from within our region and beyond. To help in this mission, KUOW has an outstanding opportunity for a Senior Director, Digital Product to be responsible for defining and delivering KUOW’s vision through the adoption and provision of digital technologies that support our strategic business plan and fulfill our mission.
This is a transformational role. The Senior Director, Digital Product serves as a digital thought-leader and expert, and also a general manager responsible for overseeing a team of Product Managers and a portfolio of digital services, projects and programs. These services are increasingly fundamental to KUOW’s operations spanning a wide range of delivery mechanisms, including on-air broadcasts, podcasts and other digital media and member-focused services.
They are responsible for ensuring Digital Technology Product Managers define a portfolio that meets business needs across Content, Development, Marketing, and Business Revenue & Sponsorship. This person will lead their team through the definition and delivery of the digital roadmap for all business units. They will coach their team through ideation for new tools, expand current capabilities and ensure we’re pushing the bounds of creativity and innovation.
They will work cross-functionally with the station’s senior management team and key stakeholders to set objectives, priorities and performance indicators, making appropriate tradeoffs and measuring the success of the team’s initiatives to ensure our digital investments perform at the highest level and generate a clear return on investment for the organization.
This position requires both executive-level thinking and a willingness to roll-up sleeves and do what needs to be done. The Senior Director should have a track record with extensive experience managing the development, launch, and management of significant high-profile digital solutions/programs/platforms as well as a strong interest in news/media. Additionally, experience in identifying, creating and managing vendor-based collaborative and outsourced solutions would be helpful as solutions involving cloud-based technologies continue to grow.
This person reports to the President/General Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Defines Strategic Vision (40%)
• Works with business units to identify, improve, develop, and advocate new opportunities for products and services. Develops and manages portfolio of digital roadmaps and products
• Gathers business requirements; understands and provides input into design and user experience requirements. Understands and provides input into technical requirements
• Develops and gains approval for department strategies and prioritize tasks to support organization’s strategies to meet performance targets (e.g., financial targets, audience growth targets, etc.)
• Develops business plan and annual budget for digital products and services
Oversees Day-to-Day Digital Operations (40%)
• Oversees the day-to-day operations, maintenance, and performance measurement of digital platforms
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities of direct reports including planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems
• Manages specified KPIs and collect data/feedback on digital performance against business goals
Collaborates across Internal Teams and External Vendors to Achieve Goals (20%)
• Acts as liaison between departments and outside vendors for development and maintenance of website and other tech platforms (e.g., donations, CRM, etc.)
• Creates buy-in for the product vision with key internal and external partners
• Drives dialog with Sr. Leadership, internal engineering teams, external vendors, and program management to deliver integrated services that support achievement of our Strategic Business Plan
• Supports change management and adoption of technology-related processes, tools and services.
Position reports to the President/General Manager with significant collaboration across the Executive team—Chief Content Officer and Chief Marketing Officer.
Initially, oversees two (2) Product Managers focused on Content and Audience Experience (Development, Marketing, and Business Revenue & Sponsorship), Director of Research and IT which includes an IT team of three (3) and Data team of three (3), Director, Digital Media, and Web Developer. Pending analysis of digital needs and budget capacity, may include additional Product /Project Managers and a Head of Tech Operations.
• A Bachelor's degree required; appropriate advanced degree (e.g., MS, MBS, MBA) preferred
• 10+ years’ experience in Product Management, Digital, E-Commerce, IT, and/or Digital Marketing; with at least 5+ years leading teams and managing vendors preferred.
• Experience building and fostering a strong product culture that rewards innovation, rapid testing, and continuous learning.
• High degree of business acumen and technical competency; ability to balance and bridge technology and business needs.
• Experience in managing, motivating and mentoring product management staff required.
• Budget creation and program tracking/analysis required.
• A demonstrated ability to lead in a team-oriented setting. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required, both written and oral.
• Deep knowledge of Salesforce and/or content management systems a plus.
• Familiarity with public media and/or journalism-focused goals, objectives and processes.