Job Description Summary
To serve as a reporter for a live, on-air radio news program and on KUT.org. Responsible for researching, writing, reporting, interviewing and producing news stories for KUT. Generates ideas, researches topics, writes, reports and mixes spot news stories for air and online. Assists hosts in booking, researching, editing and posting interview segments as needed. Serves as host for Morning Edition weekdays from 5 to 6 a.m. Serves as backup host for entire Morning Edition broadcast.
Please send 3 examples of audio work and 3 examples of online work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Produces daily short spots and web posts for KUT News. Generates ideas, researches topics, reports, interviews, writes and produces radio news reports and online stories.
- Hosts the 5-6 a.m. hour of Morning Edition.
- Prepares weather, traffic, promotional and continuity material. Inserts local content into national program feed. Serves as backup host for Morning Edition and other KUT programs.
- Attends story meetings with story suggestions for newscasts.
- Provides assistance to other reporters with story research, editorial duties and background materials.
- Reports news for national programming as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Radio/Television/Film, Communications, Journalism or related field. One year of professional journalism experience. 6 months experience hosting a news program. Experience producing content for news website. Experience meeting deadlines and reporting under strict time limits. Knowledge of the operations of public radio local and national news. Excellent verbal, writing, editing, digital and online production skills. Must be able to multi-task and meet deadlines. Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Two years experience as a public radio reporter. One year experience as a public radio show host. One year experience producing content for news website including producing web text, interactive material and multimedia content.
$42,000 + depending on qualifications
Lift and move standard office files and supplies. Wear appropriate office attire; accept supervision. Work hours may include occasional evenings, weekends and some holidays during peak periods to meet deadlines.
4:30 am - 1:30 pm
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
- 3 examples of online work
- 3 examples of audio work