- Assigns and edits news stories for the KUT Daily News Desk for on-air and digital platforms. Works with reporters, the digital and multimedia teams on stories. Works with beat reporters to generate daily stories from specific beats. Maintains shared editorial planning calendar.
- Researches ideas and suggests stories for daily and 2nd day coverage of breaking news in all KUT platforms. Keeps newsroom ahead of the curve on local and national news. Assists in plans for special projects, election coverage and other major events.
- Manages outside content partnerships, including making sure KUT's stories are shared with the Texas Newsroom collaborative.
- Assists in hiring and supervising decisions for open positions. Supervises KUT Daily News Desk reporting staff. Works within a team environment.
- Makes public appearances at events promoting KUT News or its outreach activities as assigned. Participates in on-air fundraising as assigned.
- On-call as back-up editor and during breaking news, the weekends and emergencies.
Bachelor's degree. Seven years' experience in journalism that includes experience in breaking news coverage in multiple platforms including radio. Experience with digital audio editing. At least one year experience as an editor in either radio or print. Basic understanding of digital content management systems. Two or more years supervising employees.
Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Ten years' experience as a journalist/editor, including editing radio news and extensive digital writing and editing. Experience with Adobe Audition. Fluent in Spanish.
$70,000 + depending on qualifications
Standard office conditions.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
- 3 examples of radio work
- 3 examples of digital work
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.