KODIAK ALASKA REPORTER POSITION
Public Radio KMXT-FM seeks a full-time REPORTER
Duties and skills include:
- gathering, writing, producing, editing, and presenting local, state, and national news for broadcast. Including assigned news stories, meetings and beats.
- hosting news broadcasts, special events and live news coverage. Including on-air board shifts as assigned.
- developing and maintaining news sources/contacts.
- producing public affairs programs and PSAs.
- Assisting with training and supervision of news.
- Demonstrating high standards of professionalism, and reviewing and maintaining news policies and formats.
- being a team player, working well with others, and sharing responsibility of regular station maintenance with staff.
- having an interest in local government, rural/remote Alaska, and fisheries reporting.
KMXT’s news department is responsible for reporting and producing local news on a daily basis, submitting stories to the Alaska Public Radio Network, and producing and distributing the “Alaska Fisheries Report” to the statewide system.
KMXT is situated on Kodiak Island, a beautiful remote island about 250 miles south of Anchorage. Kodiak, a commercial fishing hub in southeast Alaska, consistently ranks in the top five fishing ports in the US. The Kodiak community is incredibly diverse: it is the ancestral lands of the Alutiiq people, features large Filipino and Hispanic/Latinx communities, and is a multilingual rural locale with over 14 languages spoken here. The City of Kodiak, one of eight communities on Kodiak Island, is home to half of the island’s 13,000 residents.
College degree preferred with some broadcast journalism experience. Must be computer and internet literate with demonstrated knowledge and ability of broadcast and production equipment and techniques. Must have excellent communication, writing, and organizational skills.
Starting Salary: This position is classified full-time, non- exempt with benefits. LEVEL 5 to 7 on KPBC Pay Grid. DOE $20 to $22 per hour.
Deadline: open until filled
Kodiak Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Send letter of interest, resume, and writing and/or audio samples to: Michael Wall, General Manager, email@example.com